• Peter Bateman
    Twenty years ago last week three men died in a sewer in Fanshawe St, central Auckland.
    Attached FYI is the feature story about the incident - and confined space risks in general - published in the March/April 1999 edition of Safeguard.
    Attachment
    SG54 Confined space feature (5M)
  • Geoff Wilson
    Thank for the reminder. Although a lot of time has passed, this tragedy remains a stark reminder of not understanding the risks, and those doing the work not being given the knowledge and training to cope with those risks. The lessons of this event where two people died attempting to save their workmate will always need to reinforced in the risk based H&S environment.
  • Rob McAulay
    Great read, thanks Peter. I find it hard to believe it was 20 years ago. I still use this incident as an example during some of the Training I deliver in house as it is provides valuable learning around assessing risk but also human nature when a friend or colleague gets into trouble.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.