• Jon Harper-Slade
    Hello,

I am currently undertaking post-graduate research into Safety in Design in New Zealand, as part fulfilment of the Master of Safety Leadership at Griffith University. This work is also supported and endorsed by the Construction Clients’ Group (CCG) Safety in Design Workstream.

I am seeking safety in design outputs from industry to better understand how safety in design is being applied in New Zealand.

'Outputs' are those things that are created as a result of anything you consider to be a safety in design activity. For example, a safety in design workshop outputs might be minutes, or a photo of the whiteboard, or an updated design, or a risk register, or something else. If a designer 'made the design safer' after thinking about safety alone in their office, they might update the design, or email someone to say what they have changed, or add notes to the drawing. Small companies might create notes, where large projects might create large reports with risk assessments. I am interested in the variety of things created as a result of 'safety in design'.

I am specifically interested in safety and design for transportation infrastructure, including road, rail, bus, marine, and aviation. Infrastructure includes buildings, utilities, plant, fire systems, railway systems, roads, airports, and their related systems. However, things from building projects are also welcome.

If you would like to discuss this further or are able to provide safety in design outputs, in whatever form they exist, to the email address below, that will greatly assist in this research.

Please read the information sheet (below) for details on privacy, confidentiality, and the research.

If you have any questions, please contact me at the phone number below.
    Regards,
    Russell McMullan
    Level 17, 29 Customs Street West, Auckland 1141
    +64-27-548-6730

Information sheet - A study of the application of Safety in Design in recent transportation infrastructure projects in New Zealand

Who is conducting the research?

Russell McMullan
    As part fulfilment of the Master of Safety Leadership, Griffith University
    Level 17, 29 Customs Street West, Auckland 1141
    +64-27-548-6730

Who is the research supervisor?

Dr Drew Rae
    Senior Lecturer, School of Humanities, Languages and Social Science
    Griffith University Nathan campus, 170 Kessels Road QLD 4111
    +61-7-3735-9764

Why is the research being conducted?

The analysis of safety in design outputs aims to provide a better understanding of how the concept of Safety in Design is currently being applied in practice in New Zealand.

What you will be asked to do

To participate in this project, please provide safety in design[1] outputs from recent transportation infrastructure projects[2]. Transportation infrastructure projects includes road, rail, bus, marine, and aviation. Infrastructure includes buildings, utilities, plant, fire systems, railway systems, roads, airports, and their related systems. 'Outputs' are those things that are created as a result of any safety in design activity. For example, if you held a safety in design workshop an output might be minutes, or a photo of the whiteboard, or an updated design, or a risk register, or something else. If a designer 'made the design safer' after thinking about safety alone in their office, they might update the design, or email someone to say what they have changed, or add notes to the drawing. Small companies might create notes, where large projects might create large reports with risk assessments. I am interested in the variety of things created as a result of 'safety in design'.
    The expected benefits of the research

Expected benefit of this research is to better understand how safety in design is being applied in New Zealand. This will assist in determining whether the purported benefits of safety in design are evident in the safety in design outputs created by industry.

Your confidentiality

All provided data will be de-identified to remove personally identifiable data and company identifiable data. Data will be stored in a password protected electronic storage, and on completion of the research will be archived at Griffith University for a period of five years before being destroyed.

Risks to you

There are no foreseeable risks associated with participation in this research.

Your participation is voluntary

Participation is voluntary and participants are free to withdraw from the study at any time.

Questions / further information

This research is conducted by Russell McMullan. A project volunteer (Mr Rob Mair) has been enlisted to support categorisation of data after it has been de-identified. Both the researcher and the volunteer are employees of City Rail Link Ltd.

The ethical conduct of this research

The project does not involve human participants or collect any personal data, and so is exempt from formal ethics approval.

Feedback to you

A plain language summary of the research results can be provided via an email request.

The findings of the research will be published in a thesis submitted in part fulfilment of the Master of Safety Leadership. Once accepted, the thesis will be made available to industry participants and participants of the study.

Privacy Statement – non-disclosure

The conduct of this research involves the collection, access and/or use of company information. The information collected is confidential and will not be disclosed to third parties without your consent except to meet legal requirements. Your anonymity and that of your company will at all times be safeguarded. For further information consult the University’s Privacy Plan at http://www.griffith.edu.au/about-griffith/plans-publications/griffith-university-privacy-plan or telephone +61-7-3735-4375.

[1] Safety in design is sometimes named ‘health and safety in design’, safety by design’, ‘health and safety by design’, ‘prevention through design’, ‘safe design’, ‘design for safety’, ‘construction hazard prevention through design’ or ‘risk assessment’. 'Outputs' are those things that are created as a result of any safety in design activity you have been involved in. For example, if you held a safety in design workshop an output might be minutes, or a photo of the whiteboard, or an updated design, or a risk register, or something else. If a designer 'made the design safer' after thinking about safety alone in their office, they might update the design, or email someone to say what they have changed, or add notes to the drawing. Small companies might create notes, where large projects might create large reports with risk assessments. I am interested in the variety of things created as a result of 'safety in design'.
    [2] ‘Recent’ aims to capture project information created in the last 4 years.
  • Russell McMullan
    Thanks Jon. Much appreciated. (My forum membership now seems to be approved.)
  • Margaret
    Thanks Jon we are working on SiD projects in Govt I will contact Russell.
  • Russell McMullan
    The research is completed and Thesis submitted.

I've created a presentation that provides an overview of the thesis and the findings.

https://youtu.be/EddA3hlKQG8
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.