• MattD2
    How does everyone deal with notification of particular hazardous work under Regulation 26 of the HSE regs 1995 where there are multiple contractors working on the job?
    One way I have seen is for the principle / main contractor to notify WorkSafe (as the person who controls the workplace) of all notifiable work being done on the work-site by their (sub)contractors. But does this satisfy the requirement for the subcontractors to "..., so far as is reasonably practicable, take steps to lodge notice..." - i.e. is it considered a reasonably practical step to have the main contractor lodge the notice?
  • Chris Anderson
    Notice only needs to come from one PCBU, for us its the contractor most heavily involved in the notifiable works.
  • Joanne Brown
    We as main contractors also follow this process. Main reason is the sub being responsible for the works is the one experienced, therefore if required by Worksafe to query safe practices/incidents they are aware of who is controlling this area of works.
  • MattD2
    Notice only needs to come from one PCBU, for us its the contractor most heavily involved in the notifiable works.Chris Anderson
    Thanks for the replies Chris and Joanne - good to see that the general consensus is a single notification is the standard approach. In the context that I am generally working we will have multiple individual contractors engaged in the work at different times over the duration of the job, so in this case I would say we are "most heavily involved in the notifiable work" being we are present throughout the job.
  • Tania Curtin
    Spot on - it only needs to be notified by one PCBU.
    The key here is the overlapping duties - the relevant PCBU's need to talk to one another and agree who is responsible for lodging notifications. All the relevant PCBU's should be ensuring the notification is lodged (whether by them or another PCBU), e.g. by obtaining a copy.
  • MattD2
    All the relevant PCBU's should be ensuring the notification is lodged (whether by them or another PCBU), e.g. by obtaining a copy.Tania Curtin

Yes - the way I have seen this done effectively is for the principle / main contractor lodge the notice for the anticipated Notifiable Work and then post the confirmation from WorkSafe NZ in the common areas (such as permit huts) so that they can be referred to by sub-contractors to confirm that their work has been covered.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.