• Trudy Downes
    As a motorcycle rider, I prefer people driving Forward out of carparks.
    As a car driver, I prefer the quick getaway of driving forward out of carparks.
    As a truck driver, I prefer to avoid all carparks.
  • Janene Magson
    do you have stats of people walking into or falling over a vehicles tow-bar. Taking a train station park n ride for example where reversing in would make sense, the vehicles try and get their vehicles(back tyres) as close to the sidewalk as possible, therefor pushing the vehicle, in some cases, almost one metre onto the path with the towbar, so you need to be quite attentive or suffer the consequences......totally different if backing into an area that is enclosed.
  • Andrew
    Sadly, I do have the stats. And I say "sadly" because my life is too short to be worrying about people "shinning" them selves on a tow bar in a car park.

The stats show just one incident - and that's the one with the bike rack on the back.

I have confidence in the stats because I encourage every incident to be reported - but that's on the basis I won't challenge an ACC claim if the incident has "gone in the book". And some of our folks would be very quick to lodge an ACC claim and take a week off work for a skinned shin.

Sadly, I also have little sympathy for people that do shin themselves. Really, at some point people need to be responsible for their own awareness and environment and think about walking around a car a bit more.

But in this "zero harm" day in age I also know I am a bit of a dinosaur, so I know I'd be expected to spend shareholder funds on putting those little wheel stop bumper things in the car park 1m out from the kerb so the reversing cars tyre would hit this and thus prevent the car from encroaching on the footpath zone. At $300 per car park I could sleep easier at night knowing some twits shin is now nicely protected.

Actually $300 wouldn't cover it. $100 for the Stop, $500 for a consultation process, $100 for the engineering reports on the drive substrate to ensure it met standards, $100 for the labour to install, $100 for fixing materials, $100 for the safety register to be updated and $100 for the subsequent audits to ensure the stop continued to meet Standard.
  • Albert
    While working at a BHP Billiton mine in Western Australia a study was made available which clearly demonstrated reverse parking was far safer than forward parking. The greater safety was when the vehicle was leaving the carpark as the driver had a clear view of the egress. Unfortunately, I don't have access to the study any longer, but I will try to get it and share it to the discussion.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.