• Shirlene Vautier
    Hi all, Just letting you know that ACC has decided to retire the Habit at work website, due in part to the site no longer meeting their expectation of delivering a positive customer experience for users. From Friday 10th July, ACC will redirect all Habit at Work users to an ACC webpage with links to websites for users to access a wider range of resources and information.
    Please feel free to share this message with your Health and Safety connections to let them know of that the website will be retired on Friday 10th July.
    Nga Pati (questions) are welcome –
    Regards, Shirlene
  • Chris Hyndman
    Thanks for the heads up, and what a shame this dated but useful resource has been lost!
  • Victoria Middleton
    I just found this out - having referred it to an HR manager to include as a resource for setting up workstations at home (and being informed that it was no longer). None of the sites referred to are as interactive or common-sense basic as HabitAtWork and, I have to say, are designed more as 'bedtime reading' materials. Indeed, quite detailed and cumbersome. I hope that ACC re look at their DPI programme, and review and update this resource.
  • Chris Hyndman
    We also referred to this resource as a means for home workers to set up their workstations.

You've got to question the timing of this.
  • Denise
    Really disappointing they state "If you're working in other industries or professions, contact your industry or professional body. They may have ergonomic resources and information." Even if the current information required review at least it was available. It appears the previously useful resource for Machine operators is now no longer available.
  • naomi hosted
    Oh no! Is there any chance it could be reinstated if enough feedback is received? With so many people working from home this was one of our core components of helping them to get their workstation set up correctly.
  • Sharyn Foote
    That's a shame. While outdated it was very useful for those setting up home workstations or wanting tips on how to adjust items, also for the exercises when experiencing pain or discomfort. I hope they produce something similar in the future.
  • Marion Edwin
    Indeed it is a shame that this resource has been 'retired' without thought to the development of suitable (technically updated and contemporary) replacement resources. I believe that has fallen into the gap between ACC and WorkSafe, with WorkSafe only now beginning to move into greater leadership around musculoskeletal health risk management. The loss of HabitAtWork follows on from ACC's completely unannounced 2019 'turning off' of the associated WorkSmart Tips resources (developed in liaison with 16 different industries). I can only hope that WorkSafe will now pick up on this issue and show leadership and links with professional expertise to develop suitable replacement materials. I am aware that HASANZ strongly advocated for the keeping of both sets of ACC resource until such time as replacements were made available, but this was unfortunately not successful. I believe that those businesses that were utilising the intranet-based version of HabitAtWork will be able to continue utilising this, if the internal IT system has been maintained to support it. I too am shaking my head in despair.
  • Robert Powell
    We realised that the tool was to be retired along with flash player, so we used the ACC guidance to develop this document. Feel free to borrow and adapt.
    Attachment
    OPL Computer Workstations (605K)
  • Shirlene Vautier
    Hi all,
    Thanks for taking the time to comment, and I will forward your message onto the team who work in this area, but please feel free to send your thoughts through directly to
    Regards, Shirlene
  • Chris Alderson
    Hi - CHASNZ has been liaising with ACC on this issue recently and we understand the technical reasons why Habit at Work cannot be maintained.
    Given the construction sector has the highest number of and cost associated with lumber and shoulder sprains and strains we are very motivated to work on the issue of reducing muscular skeletal type injuries and developing modern effective and evidence based preventative strategies that reduce these types of injuries. This would include investment in the development of the next generation of tools and advice that although will firstly be targeted at Construction, will be freely available to all.
    I realise this won't help those needing the information right now - but I can confirm it is a priority workstream for CHASNZ.
  • naomi hosted
    Thanks for sharing Robert,
  • naomi hosted
    Good to hear about the CHASNZ plans Chris, looking forward to seeing those construction focused tools when they come out.
  • Victoria Middleton

I actually found the H@W principle easily adaptable to the construction sector in regards to anything from repetitive actions of the hammer hands through to touch screens in plant mobilisation, accessing plant, ergonomically setting up containers (for mainly housekeeping, but also reduces strains / sprains), load lift identification and use of mechanical tools etc etc. I recently assisted with the assessment of a tunnels operations - using the H@W principles in the final report. The programme can be adapted as a guide when setting up any workplace. I guess where it can be updated and future proofing such a programme, would be in the virtual reality space. I would like to think that this is where the Construction tool is going.
  • Catherine McIntosh
    Thank you very much - this is a great adaptation for office and home use
  • Michael Wilson
    It needed a rebuild but it is a shame. I sent someone there yesterday and found is was gone.

Fun Fact: I won the naming competition when I was at acc.

The idea was it was about your Habit at work and your Habitat . I don;t think anyone got the play on words.
  • Sheri Greenwell
    Has anyone come across something similar for positioning the body while driving a vehicle?
  • Michael Wilson
    This one is quite simple but good. Particularly if you drive a jaaaaag
  • Sheri Greenwell
    Do you have a document?

We're talking sales guys driving Mazdas and drivers of heavy transport vehicles.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.