• Michael Wilson
    Hello,

We have done a lot of work on safer driving over the past year.
    Some background;

• All our vehicles are GPS monitored
    • We measure a speeding incident as one over 10% above the speed limit for more than 30 seconds
    • We have dropped our number of speeding incidents by 86% since last May and now have less speeding incidents that we did during the lockdown

We are now at the point where we are trying to figure out what threshold that would trigger the need to have an individual performance discussion and come up with a plan to remedy risky behaviour.

Is there anyone here who would be will to share some GPS monitoring data so we can see how we compare.
  • Stuart Oakey

I think you answered your own question "We measure a speeding incident as one over 10% above the speed limit for more than 30 seconds"

Wouldn't a safety conversation be better than individual performance discussion? Do you have a Making Fair & Just Decisions matrix?
  • Michael Wilson
    Hello,
    Yes. This starts as a safety conversation before it progresses. What I am looking for is data on how we compare. We will continue to work with our outliers as the variance between two people with the safe role should not be a factor of 10 or 20.
  • Brian Parker
    Hi Stuart,
    You did not indicate what provider you are using for your GPS monitoring.
    We use Eroad, which provides a Leaderboard that compares the driver/vehicle (your choice) to every other driver/vehicle using Eroad in NZ. It also provides a driver insight report that shows where and when speeding, harsh braking, harsh acceleration and harsh cornering events are occurring and their severity. It is a great coaching tool.
    Other GPS monitoring systems have similar capabilities so I suggest you discuss your needs with your provider.
  • Mike Massaar
    We have GPS monitoring for vehicles including thresholds for speeding and fatigue. It also includes thresholds for individual performance and the consequences for that. Happy to share if you want to contact me separately Michael.
  • Don Ramsay
    In previous employment they had eroad and also in-cab cameras, the drivers became so obsessed with not getting in trouble they tended to look at the eroad screen to manage the speed, and at the same time camera footage showed that this distracted them from looking at the road for a considerable part of the day.

My point is these pieces of equipment are tools, but businesses are using them to punish drivers, it is not that they are exceeding the speed limit but what motivates them to do it. Are they under pressure to get jobs completed, are they rushing back to base? Once you understand the motivation you can do something about it.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.