• Don Ramsay
    I may be overthinking this but how does the disclosure of email addresses and phone numbers for the purposes of inductions sit with the privacy act. I only ask as we do not have company phones or emails thus the information is personal.
  • Robb

Hi Don,
    Have a look here:
    https://www.privacy.org.nz/tools/online-privacy-training-free/
    Free Privacy Act online training from the Privacy Commission.
    In particular, I suggest you do the Privacy ABC module (20 mins max) - you will find the answer to your question and more in that
  • Andrew

I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you talking about collecting emails off employees. Or giving the emails you already have to someone else.

First thing is you have to have a reason for collecting personal information such as emails and phones numbers. I do. And the main reason is I want a way of keeping in touch with them outside work hours. For example if they don't turn up for work I want to find them. Or if we have a snow day and work is closed. Organising inductions and other training would be a good reason for collecting this private information though I arrange this through the supervisors.

But once collected, you have to keep it secure. You can't go using it for purposes you don't have a reason for. And you can't go divulging that information to anyone else. I wouldn't give a Trainer our employees phone number / emails. If the Trainer wants it then they can ask for it directly once the induction is arranged.
  • Don Ramsay
    thanks for that
  • Don Ramsay
    so if your staff are doing inductions for another company you would not give the information out?
  • Andrew

Lets see if I have this right. You have an employee and you hold their personal email / phone number.

And this employee does Induction Training for other people in another company.

If this is the case then my answer would be "No" I would not hand the information out. If the people in the other company wanted to get in touch with my employee I would act as the conduit - they ring me then I get in touch with my employee. However, if at the Induction Training the other employee asks my employee for their phone number then it is entirely up to my employee to decide to give it out or not.

I wouldn't even ask my employee for their permission to hand over their personal details. Mainly because I hold personal information as sacrosanct. We shouldn't be noseying into people's private lives and we most certainly should not be handing out their personal information - no matter how we try to dress it up.
  • Steve H
    I may be overthinking this but how does the disclosure of email addresses and phone numbers for the purposes of inductions sit with the privacy act. I only ask as we do not have company phones or emails thus the information is personal.Don Ramsay

Or are you talking you and your team rocking up to another companies site, doing an induction for that site, and as a part of that being asked for "your" contact details Don? I'd give them your employers number/email if you don't have a company cell and email
  • Don Ramsay
    Maily online inductions and the like, they want individual emails and I am not handing out personal emails or cell phone numbers. most are pretty good about it but some just have their way of doing things and everyone must conform.
  • Steve H
    Maily online inductions and the like, they want individual emails and I am not handing out personal emails or cell phone numbers. most are pretty good about it but some just have their way of doing things and everyone must conform.Don Ramsay

And if you reuse a number/email their system spits the dummy, could always ask the team to register an email addy, wouldn't use gmail, but there other free ones. They can use it as a spam trap for all the "give us an email to enter the draw" and only need to monitor it as and when they are doing a course where it's been requested.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.