• rebecca telfer
    Hi team
    Has anyone used the above analysis in your business of your top critical risks to identity improved controls.
    cheers
  • Chris Alderson
    Hi Rebecca - we put a simple bow tie together to represent the construction industry controls under different alert levels. You can download it free on this page. https://www.chasnz.org/covid-19-resources
  • steve saunders
    Hi Rebecca, happy to share our bowties with you for our critical risk. Do you have bowtieXP?
  • Mike Massaar
    Hi Rebecca, yes we have used bowtie now for several years. Bowties are centric to our Critical Risk Standard to identifying and them implementing critical risk controls. We use Bowtie XP available through https://bowtierisksolutions.com.au/
  • rebecca telfer
    Hi Steve, no we don't have bowtieXP, this is something new to the company so starting from the bottom.
    but would love to see some examples if you are willing to share
  • steve saunders
    if you let me have your email, will happily share some.
  • Penny Tregear
    Rebecca, we use bowtie for critical risk and had BowTie sp for a while but our new incident mgmt system has it integrated. I have a word bow tie template that I'm happy to share and CGE did have a pdf version of methodology on line dated 2015.
  • rebecca telfer
    thank you for that Penny, must appreciated.
  • steve saunders
    Attachments
    bowtie (42K)
    Asbestos (72K)
    Violence (78K)
  • Chris Peace
    I've taught people to use bow ties and often seen how the penny drops when a team of managers and workers collaborate. Simply using post it notes on a glass wall can be very powerful. The process can break down barriers and remove the work-as-imagined/work-as-done problem.
    Once done with Post-it notes the results can be drawn with a graphics package and used regularly to discuss changes.
    Used as an engagement process bow ties can be powerful. Simply drawing them and making the risk register look fancy is a waste of time.
    I've also integrated bow tie analysis into teaching an overall risk assessment process that now forms part of one of the Master's papers I teach at Victoria University
  • Theresa Khatchian
    Yes we have done Bowtie for our Critical Risks and have developed a template in Visio but can be used by users that do not have Visio and happy to share what that looks like to see if anyone is interested. Plus, we are more than happy to share our Critical Risks that have been done in this format, saves reinventing the wheel so too speak.
  • Theresa Khatchian
    If interested my email address is
  • Sheri Greenwell
    Well said, and I would also add that there is definitely a benefit in using a process where people actively write their contributions on post-it notes and place them on the wall to create the Bow-Tie diagram - not only more actively engaging them, but at a deeper unconscious level, you are activating a greater sense of ownership and making what is usually a more abstract and conceptual process much more tangible. Then photograph the results and convert them to graphics. I don't think we really need the fancy software as much as we need to engage and involve people in capturing their experience and insights. There is also a degree of acknowledgement in asking them for their input, and it's often a lot easier to DO these than to sit around and just talk about them.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.