• Sandra Nieuwoudt
    Good afternoon all

We are currently reviewing job descriptions and going to add banding for salaries across our business.
    Hill Laboratories never had an H&S Manager and always had a coordinator/advisor.

Is it possible that any of you can share with me an H&S Manager and H&S Advisor JD to make the comparisons and then for the HR and ELT team to do the banding to see where I am at?

Much appreciated.
    My email is

Thank you
    Have a wonderful Christmas and Happy New Year.
  • Rachael
    Hi Sandra

My experience has been that both roles have similar JDs but it's more a case of the reporting line and responsibility which varies depending on the organisational culture and goals.

An 'Advisor' is generally in an EHS silo that is a support role separate from operations. They kinda have all care, but little responsibility for EHS related stuff - more in line with a consultant.

A HS manager is usually a part of the immediate org structure and owns alllll the EHS related stuff....

Like I said - very generalised but it comes down to the wants/needs/aspirations of the individual company/organisation.
  • Margaret
    Hi Sandra there is a significant difference a between a manager and an advisor. An advisor works at an operational level and is usually early or mid career. A manager is more experienced, is strategic, a technical lead and a leader of people. You can view the difference between an OSH practitioner and OSH professional in the INSHPO Capability framework
    https://www.inshpo.org/storage/app/media/docs/INSHPO_2017_Capability_Framework_Final.pdf
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.