• KeithH
    Why are we still killing our workersSteve H

Define "we" Steve. Who is "we"? Once the "we" is identified, then each how may be more apparent so solutions to each why can be explored.
  • Steve H
    Keith, I have to think "We" is all of us, as many have said, we can't impose "safety" on those below, we can't eradicate "stupid" and very few are working with unlimited budgets. Sheri makes some very valid points about giving workers the tools to do their own risk assessments but owners/directors/managers need education, support and encouragement to do what they can. And that may well mean,ceasing operations, and listening to their staff, particularly departing staff.

Part of the solution has to be a better funded regulator, ring fencing the fines that they successfully impose.has to be a part of that, but like the health system, more boots on the ground than bums on chairs in the PR department will achieve more tangible results.So some increase in funding will be needed.

Finally, I firmly believe Parliament needs to revisit the ACC legislation, it is one of the differences between NZ and other roughly similar jurisdictions, exactly what any changes (if any) should take place are the province of due process, but the ACC legislation isn't the same animal that was originally proposed or enacted.
  • KeithH
    @Steve H I acknowledge your points but I'm going to ask you two slightly different questions.

How are the workers being killed? and
    Why are workers being killed?

For me, until I know how the workers are being killed, I cannot establish details about why they were killed. Once both have been established, the contributing factors can be identified with unemotive recommendations for improvements.
    It could be that improvements may be implementation of existing clauses of legislation or regulations. It could also be that improvements may require changes to existing or creation of new legislation or regulations.

I don't take a punitive approach since experience has shown me it achieves little - generally it creates a negative effect.
    So for me, until I how the factors that contributed to an incident, I can't begin to identify what needs to change (if anything) to improve the business practices.

I leave alone what I cannot change and focus on what I can utilise. I would like to see changes but I have to work in the here and now.
    Currently, all I do is use the cards I have been dealt, review other countries (primarily the US, UK and Canada) activities and interpretations, and use overseas ideas and NZ legislation and methods to place H&S alongside Environmental Management and Quality Control as integrated policies, processes and procedures for businesses to incorporate into their practices.
  • MattD2
    How are the workers being killed?KeithH
    Because they do not have the resources they need for the work (time, tools, materials, training, supervision and mentoring, workers and spare capacity to allow time off without impacting others, etc.
    and, Why are workers being killed?
    Because our current economics system drives businesss to continously "improve" efficiency of work using financial profit maximisation as its main KPI.
  • Steve H
    Because our current economics system drives businesss to continously "improve" efficiency of work using financial profit maximisation as its main KPI.MattD2

And would that change if company officers potentially could face Corporate Manslaughter charges?

It could be that improvements may be implementation of existing clauses of legislation or regulations. It could also be that improvements may require changes to existing or creation of new legislation or regulations.

I don't take a punitive approach since experience has shown me it achieves little - generally it creates a negative effect.
    KeithH

The problem with not taking a punitive approach Keith is evident in the appalling driving standards you'll witness daily on our roads, quite apart from speeding, sit and watch an intersection controlled by stop signs and see how many fail to come to a complete stop and check the intersecting road is clear in both directions, or the number of folk yapping on cell phones or updating their social media.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.