• Peter Bateman
    A contact in the finance sector has got in touch with an interesting question. Her organisation has been tasked with communicating the dangers of online scams to a specific group, namely seasonal workers.

She wonders if any Forum member who has had success communicating health & safety messages to seasonal workers can advise which communications methods work best?

Answers on the back of a postcard please. Or here, even better.
  • KeithH
    Researching cultures
    Asking for advice
    Listening without interruption
    Talking openly and clearly
    Listening with respect
    Speaking honestly
    Building trust
    Treating with equality
    Eating humble pie
    Acknowledging wrongs
    Accepting other authority figures
    Treating with respect
    Gifting without expectations
  • CatB
    I've done some work with RSE workers over the years and have found either working with the existing pastoral care team and the people in the crews who are viewed as leaders seems to work the best. It's really not that much different to any work crew - identify the people who hold mana and are respected by the worker group and focus on empowering them as a way of delivering information and messages. Educate yourself about cultural differences, particularly around communication and how different groups perceive management - a number of cultures are very uncomfortable raising issues upwards. Take training outside and into the worksite, not in meeting rooms and workspaces. Use simple visual guides like pictures of correct PPE and simple flow-charts for processes and SOP (again with pictures).
  • TracyRichardson
    Keep any communications to one page.
    Use internal social media like internal facebook.
    Make use of apps and set up groups such as whatapp, snapchat, intagram
    Make team leader accountable for communications
  • Shannon
    Hi all, thanks so much for these response, very helpful.
    At this point in time, I think know what my key messages need to be. As part of my strategy, I am wondering if key messages (ideally in own language) provided on water bottles or T-shirts is an effective idea? Has anyone noticed any examples where 'useful' freebies have been provided? And if that has been helpful?
    Also, has anyone done any pre-communicating in the Islands to workers before they come to NZ? Any insights to share here please?
  • JBob
    Late reply to the topic but Ive just seen it.

Definitely use the pastoral carer. Your contact's seasonal workers almost certainly have meetings with the group from time to time. Thats a good time to talk about this. Repeat the simple anti-scam message. Give them bite sized pieces of information. Language barriers, cultural barriers and unfamiliarity with new tech concepts can take a bit to digest. Be specific about the scams - many of the young guys are using sexual explicit apps and money transfer apps that are scams that are the same but different than the general NZ public is used to seeing.

Unfortunately we find some of the worst scammers are their colleagues. Simple DOB PIN numbers and lending their card to others is a problem.
  • Moni Hogg
    Hi everyone.

I'm doing quite an extensive project to deal with this exact topic.

I'm partnered with Horticulture NZ with funding from ACC. I have support from Ministry of Pacific Peoples and Worksafe.

We have conducted a trial, see here: https://www.nzism.org/crm/file/store/beznvKjeeiZe2z39m9OgOX5Bx5AkaWeu.pdf?utm_source=NZISM+Members&utm_campaign=d89839f83e-NZISM+NEWS_COPY_04&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_13e93bf2c1-d89839f83e-92883525

We are currently running it as a larger pilot and will be publishing findings, resources etc in the New Year.

If you have any queries in the meantime, drop me a line on or 021 298 6407.

Moni
    www.monihogg.com
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.