• Donna Balle
    Hi everyone, is there any other members who are either a Master Franchisor or who are franchsees? We are a Master Franchise and have mulitple franchisees (they are not employees) who run their own businesses under our brand from mowing lawns/ cleaning domestic and commercial. They all subscribe to a H & S reporting app that each franchisee can record site checks, SWMS, JSA, Toolbox meetings, incidents etc. Slowly we are getting our franchisees to understand why H & S is important to them, their customers and others around them. I travel around the country meeting with them, provide comms via EDM and our LMS, they are supported by Business Advisors. There are franchisees that are amazing and look after their business's H & S but there are those that all goes well for a few days after, then the apathy kicks back in. Usual excuses, not reasons as to why they stop. I am just wanting to know if others face the same situations and what interesting, engaging communications/workshops that have worked for you? Carrots get the amazing responses from our franchisees that believe in H &S. A stick of taking work off them, termination is not the solution. Engagement and belief are. What could be my magic wand ? thanks
  • Steve H
    They all subscribe to a H & S reporting app that each franchisee can record site checks, SWMS, JSA, Toolbox meetings, incidents etc.Donna Balle

Hello Donna, i operated a franchise business for ten years, the Division that i operated in, had developed a very extensive H&S system. While supposedly developed in consultation with Franchisees and Franchisors in the Divisional Manager's state- it was very top driven, is that the case with your system?

Compliance with the H&S manual etc was a part of each franchisee's annual compliance audit, fail it and you could be issued with a breach of contract notice, removed once your franchise was back in compliance, worst case your contract could be terminated.

The system was very comprehensive and seemed to impress the hell out of all the corporate clients that I gained. Small one man bands etc were less than enthused about signing our SWMS (developed for each client and each site that they worked on) Is some of the compliance variation you describe, due in part to each Franchisee's variation in client type?
  • Donna Balle
    Hi Steve, thank you for your valuable comments. As the Master Franchisor we are providing our franchisees with systems/ training / advice and support in all aspects of operating their businesses. The H & S system we use, can and does get changed/ improvements made from suggestions from franchisees, our business advisors, managers and myself. Yes there is variation in the work and the clients, and there are sample forms that can be copied and edited to be specific for each client and is a very simple process. Termination for non compliance, is the very last resort; getting the engagement and understanding of the benefits, the value to them is the goal, to have every one go home and how talking, showing, actioning , learning and documenting can help them.
  • Chris Peace
    Hi Donna
    I can't help other than to point you to the Lexology website where you can keyword search for franshis*. I have the two attached files for my teaching at Victoria University of Wellington but checking today can see many articles from around the world.
    Attachments
    Lexology Franchises and safety (153K)
    Lexology franchise Hose Doctor (109K)
  • Chris Peace
    PS, WorkSafe has taken an interest in some franchise operations including couriers (Aramex), construction companies (WorkSafe NZ v RLT Homes Ltd [2020] Timaru District Court), and letting agencies (WorkSafe NZ v Harcourts Timaru [2015] Timaru District Court).
  • Craig Carlyle
    Hi Donna. We have worked with a well recognised NZ franchise for over 25 years as the providers of the health and safety system which includes similar Cloud based app you discuss. The franchiser has exactly the same issues and successes you discuss and is on the same path, with the same issues. From our viewpoint, we can easily highlight where the gaps are, but nothing seems to beat a bit of shoe leather and constant interaction from the franhisor.The national manager in the hot seat right now is doing just that with good success. I think you have to accept that it is a constant task as these people have so may other distractions in their life. i would be happy to put you in touch with the national manager; just not sure how to start the comms chain here.
  • Donna Balle
    Hi thank you for your links and the information. Yes I am aware of WorkSafes interest with Aramex, but not the other two and I will look into those too.
  • Donna Balle
    Thank you Craig, I appreciate your suggestions, and you are quire correct, its a constant task and the leather on the ground and the many flights around the country, the communications both written and verbal from myself and our Business Advisors has made a significant difference. It is always good to network with others as I am positive that other franchise companies have the same challenges, so yes please my email is
  • Steve H
    They all subscribe to a H & S reporting app that each franchisee can record site checks, SWMS, JSA, Toolbox meetings, incidents etc.Donna Balle

What size businesses are your franchisees operating Donna? What sort of age are your Zees? are they comfortable using your app on a mobile phone, or is it another embuggarence that takes as long to complete, as it takes to complete the work they do? Is there a perception that the H&S is some form of spyware peering over their shoulders? Is the H&S system actually fit for purpose?
  • Donna Balle
    Hi Steve
    What size businesses are your franchisees operating Donna? ....Home/Commercial services cleaning / garden maintenance
    What sort of age are your Zees? ...Mix of all ages
    Are they comfortable using your app on a mobile phone, or is it another embuggarence that takes as long to complete, as it takes to complete the work they do? .....No matter what job anyone does for a commercial gain, site checks should be completed, timing/recording /working is all factored in to their quotes (they price their clients) . To record it in the app - takes but a few minutes. If there was a new hazard on that site, then they would have to do some extra recording.
    Is there a perception that the H&S is some form of spyware peering over their shoulders? No, the comments are "we know we have to do it, but its just beuracratic BS etc,. It is excuses, not reasons.
    Is the H&S system actually fit for purpose? Yes it is - and it is a very simple one to use .
    Thank you everyone for your valuable contributions, I will just keep chipping away at this. Slow and steady.
  • Steve H
    Hello Donna, after ten years as a Zee, my wife and I decided to purchase our freedom and go Indi, it was interesting that when I looked at a H&S system for us as an independent business , I found that the one that we had been running under, while it had lots of bells and whistles and at 170 Pages looked impressive, was in the words of an old English mate of mine, all mouth and trousers, a triumph of style over substance- so hence my question, is yours truly fit for purpose? To answer that question objectively, have any of your Zees done Sitewise's prequal evaluation Sitewise Green or something similar, you could well be totally correct that all is fine, but independent confirmation would help "sell the sizzle" to the team .

To record it in the app - takes but a few minutes. If there was a new hazard on that site, then they would have to do some extra recording.Donna Balle

Is that always the case, or are there instances where a grumpy old Zee with a beard, starts to try and make this god dam thing work and for whatever reason, can't, gets frustrated and just gets the job done- maybe a blind survey using Survey Monkey might wrinkle out some issues that you aren't aware of.

Do you have regional meetings where you gather your Zees together to discuss H&S, new products/services, tips and tricks etc? it's unlikely that you will prize the lips apart of the Zees who are struggling with the app, but you might uncover other useful titbits, maybe ones that are proficient users could mentor the less so.
  • Tony Walton
    The person in control of the workplace appears to be the franchisee. However, if the franchiser is training and determining how the franchisee should operate and manage health & safety, then liability for accidents and injuries rests with who?????
  • Steve H
    It depends on the nature of the business Tony, one of Donna's cleaning Zees, cleaning an office building/area on a manufacturing site, is "not in control of their workplace". Typically, this might be a Mom and Pop operation, maybe with an employee or two, frequently an immigrant to NZ and for whom English is a second language.
    So while they are "responsible" for their microcosm of the workplace, they will also be working under the H&S rules for the site and will be expected to follow those first.

The danger for F/Zors is "over managing/micro managing the day to day operation of a Zee", could see a class action drop on them as a group of Zees seek to prove that the business relationship is that of an employer/employee and as such, they should receive Sick, Statutory and Holiday Pay and all the terms, and conditions that apply to that relationship
  • Fee Ewing

Hi Donna
    I'd be happy to talk with you more about this.
    In my experience a focus on the actual work brings more engagement from people rather than just the systems.
    Cheers
    Fee
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.