• Michael Wilson
    Hello All,

I am currently putting together our environmental/sustainability strategy and am keen to put some measures in place.

What do you measure?

Ours so far

Paper usage, flights, mileage, waste oil, scrap metal, pallets, drums, oil containers

I am keen to develop a programme where we reward branches who reduce waste with trees as prizes or similar.

Looking at ISO accreditation at some point also.
  • HSQE
    Electricity usage is also a good one and is easily measurable these days with power companies being so proactive with their reporting processes and Apps that include real-time usage and forecast usage.
  • Aaron Marshall
    I'm interested to hear what sort of trends you are looking for here. e.g. waste oil - are you wanting it to be high (indicating more oil being collected for recycling/reuse) or low (indicating less wastage).
    If you're a servicing company, then waste oil will vary depending on how busy the company is. A measure of waste oil vs. fresh oil used may be of better use; or the percentage of oil purchased in plastic containers vs. drums.

As well as measuring items, you need to make sure you're not incentivising bad practice.
  • Michael Wilson
    Waste oil will be a tricky one. The measure will mostly be around the containers. I have found a few in the bottom of skips rather than waiting for the recycling company.
  • Jody
    Hi Michael,

I hope the new role is going well.
    When you figure out what to measure, we can assist with the "How"

Jody
    ydgn3t4f7au9q5ll.jpg
  • Jim at SAMs
    Water usage is a good one to measure. It enables genuine cost reduction.
  • Tony Walton
    Hi Michael, You might also consider your supply and distribution chain natural resource impacts and whats being done to make them more efficient and clean. They too, might be part of your sustainability measurements and potential carbon footprint calculations.
  • Bruce Tollan
    Many Management positions include a vehicle. Show true leadership and commitment on carbon reduction and drive an EV instead of a Ford Ranger.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.