• Andrew
    I'm pleased to see government has deleted clauses in the Domestic Violence Bill that would make a PCBU responsible for behavior stemming from domestic violence. And thank goodness Safety reps aren't required to get training in supporting victims. That was always way beyond their sphere of responsibility. Bad enough leave has to be paid for something way out of the PCBU's control.
  • Chris Anderson
    I think referring to this as the "Bash Bill" instead of the Domestic Violence Victims Protection Bill shows the sort of attitudes that are rife within New Zealand that lead to our terrible levels of domestic violence.

As health and safety professionals we're required to ensure workers are able to work healthily and safety and sometimes there are external personal factors that can influence this that must be taken into account.
  • Andrew
    Why use 11 syllables when 2 work just as well.

At last count there were 1,653 external personal factors that can affect an individuals ability to work safely. We already have legislation to cover them all for those employers who need legislation to do the right thing.

There is nothing in this legislation that enables a safer work environment - other than a risk is temporarily eliminated from the work place
  • Dianne Campton
    Actually Andrew unless the bill was presented by someone who has the name Bash referring to it is extremely derogatory. If you want to reduce the name down use an acronym - DVVPB.
    Domestic violence is more than just one partner hitting the other or hitting their children. There is also mental abuse which has nothing to do with 'bashing'. I agree with your sentiments that the workplace should not be held accountable for managing domestic violence but you lost your argument before it started by demonstrating a lack of sensitivity to an extremely serious issue that is plaguing our nation.
  • Andrew
    Well, I guess Im not know for my sensitivity. But I am struggling to think of any Bill that was named after the originator. Anti-Smacking Bill (oops I mean amendment to S59 of the Crimes Act) wasnt known as the Bradford Bill. Even Womens Refuge recognise the Bash "There are many names for violence, including: ‘the bash’; intimate partner violence, domestic violence; family violence; ‘a domestic’; partner abuse; child abuse; elder abuse; rape; incest; and date rape.

But back to my original point. Dodged a bullet there - but the dyke is getting more and more holes. There's now the bereavement leave for miscarriage bill (or the Ginny Anderson Bill) where these private issues are potentially adding to the employer burden - and one for the OSH & Wellness people to deal with.

We dont need to be legislating for decency do we?
  • Nico Smit
    My opinion on this is that employees turn up as a "whole" person at work. That means that what happens at home can have a negative impact on work and also what happens at work can impact on home life. Identifying the possibility of a risk with a worker and putting the required controls in place is a key part of managing OHS risk (fatigue, drug and alcohol etc. comes to mind).
    While the part of providing leave to sort out issues is often seen as the controversial part, ensuring a person's safety at work and the safety of others at work is also important. When a person turns up with a sports injury organisations tend to assist with alternate duties or return to work programs but the opposite seems to be true for any mental harm. Most organisations accommodate the odd personal problems that crop up, from sick kids to getting treatment for a major illness. This is just one issue that is now mentioned specifically, and not every employee will take time for every issue they have.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.