• Glenn Taylor
    Just read an article yesterday regarding a company who manages its vehicles through a GPS immobilising device that permits the employers to immobilise a vehicle whilst in motion/being driven. In the article it stated that the driver had entered a roundabout when her vehicle was immobilised leaving her stranded in the middle of the roundabout unable to continue through the junction and blocking/obstructing the roundabout for other vehicles. While I can respect a company stance with respect to its vehicles and potential abuses this has to be madness and if a vehicle is immobilised in motion what if they were on the motorway ? The vehicle grounding to a halt would cause chaos or worse. Surely this cannot be permitted ? Most have a feature to immobilise while its stationary which is fine but in motion.....this beggars belief...apparently the police declined to comment, Worksafe said the use of immobilisers should be managed appropriately and the Ministry of Transport said it would only introduce anything if the misuse of immobilisers became common. I would urge any company currently with the ability to immobilise in motion to stop and rethink this....(article link: https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/national/365691/worker-drives-through-intersection-as-boss-remotely-turns-off-vehicle)
  • Petra Hakansson
    That's really just not sensible is it.... You'd think at a minimum they would contact the driver and advise them to return immediately or their vehicle would be immobilised. I've heard of vehicle lease and finance companies using immobilisers if the user has fallen way behind on payments and won't respond to communication which to me seems the only real application (along with theft) and even then it should be when the vehicle is motionless so that they can come and retrieve it.
  • Darren Cottingham
    This could be extremely dangerous. When the vehicle is immobilised, does it retain power steering control and brakes? It could cause a huge accident.
  • Brian Parker
    The Manager's decision to immobilise the vehicle while in motion was not just stupid - it shows a reckless disregard for the safety of his employees. All because they stopped to get something to eat...really?
    One wonders what other aspects of the organisation's safety culture are amiss. Certainly there appears to be a very poor level of communication with their staff if he did that without 1st calling the driver to ask why she had deviated from the travel plan.

Darren's question is very pertinent. When the engine stops, the power assistance to both the steering and brakes also stops. The driver's ability to steer and stop would have been severely compromised.
  • Stacey Blake
    This happened in New Zealand, seriously? I don't see how anyone could think it's safe to immobilise a vehicle they don't even know is moving or stationary. I would not want to be that manager or any manager who contemplates this course of action. Regardless of anything an employee does,their safety whilst working is priority. This simply can not be done if you can not determine beyond a shadow of a doubt that the vehicle is stationary.
  • Rob McAulay
    I agree with Brian, this says a lot about the culture of the Organisation and not a lot of it good. It comes down to trust and confidence in ensuring staff use the vehicle for the intended purpose.
  • Ian Bensemann
    So this van is carring passengers on their way to work, gets remotely disabled and causes an accident or is involved in an accident where a passenger in the van is killed - is the driver culpable ?, is the person who imobilised the vehicle culpable and then of what - it would reasonably be manslaughter as their direct action caused a persons death - any opinions or comments - can we get the lid back on the can of worms ?
  • Glenn Taylor
    You'll find no disagreement from me folks, I couldn't believe the story at first until I read the article and checked the date ! It is simply utter madness. I was hoping to read that Worksafe would have made more of their response but it seems not....
  • TracyR
    Frankly the person who imobolized the car is clearly of an adverse mental state not thinking of the consequences of their actions. With all the media coverage lets hope he is not that thoughtless and irresponsible again
  • Dianne Campton
    This says more about the culture of the company than having an immobilizer fitted to a vehicle. If the manager can do something so stupid with no thought to the safety of those in the vehicle what other bad practices are they demonstrating?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.