• Gordon
    Hello all
    I am doing desktop research on "digital" H&S management systems in use in NZ for graduate studies. Could members list the system you are using or know are being used currently by NZ companies such as: SafetyWise, MyOSH, DoneSafe, Ecoportal, Noggin, etc.
    Thanks
    Gordon.

• Don Ramsay
    I am using VAULT
  • E Baxter
    I have used
    Healthcare Industry - Current system; The patient safety company for clinical & non-clinical incidents & risk management, Who's On Location for visitor & contractor management. Previous system RiskMan
    Manufacturing - MyOSH
  • MattD2
    Risk Manager (from Impac) is another common one, and I also know of Mango as well (but never used it).

What is your actual research question (if you don't mind sharing) - as this will likely be some very interesting research/findings. Generally what I have seen in the past is that, despite what is claimed on the box, most H&S management systems boil down to and incident management system (reporting and recording injuries, near misses, etc.) and/or a risk register. A lot have "additional functionality" but in reality these hardly get utilised as much as they are promoted by the system provider. One glaring hole in the Digital H&S Systems market is the availability and functionality of actually useful APIs to be able to integrate the system with the wider organisation's systems.
  • robyn moses
    In the past we have used the vault and mango but found like MattD2 said integrating it with the wider organisations systems proved to be a quagmire. Now we just have a health and safety register (incident, hazard, training) on our organizations digital system
  • Gordon
    Thanks for that! Thanks Robyn - yes that is the challenge when you have a large organisation which has already numerous software packages in place Hi MattD2 my question is "To document key factors regarding adoption and implementation of a digital health and safety system in a tertiary educational setting. ... Thanks Don will add Vault to the list to explore
  • craig christie
    We use Ecoportal specifically built to the align to context of our business
  • Jo Moar
    Having worked with Vault for both a telco and a facilities management co I found it to be outdated and cumbersome.
    I have been working in grocery trade for last 15 months and we use a custom built Ecoportal https://www.ecoportal.com/ . I find it much more user friendly and practical.
  • Denise
    We use Lucidity Software - www.luciditysoftware.com.au
    They were chosen due to their integrated reporting systems and ability to capture data from the field (particularly remote sites) on their app.
  • Alex
    We use Vault but with the Business Intelligence add-on, Notify and Check apps and are starting to integrate Bracken training. The default reporting in Vault is really bad so the Business Intelligence lets us get the info we actually need
  • Andrew
    I Use the OSH Module within Payglobal, Keeps all my risk, incident, HASNO, training, Committee Meeting, ACC, return to work, contractor, health assessments, environment testing etc etc data. All linked to every work area and every employee.
  • Chrissy Roff
    Hi Denise, do you have any issues with this being an Australian based software?
  • Chrissy Roff
    Hi Craig, do you use the Risk register part of the software?
  • Denise
    Hi Crissy, No issues at all. I have worked in the past with software developers from Canada and the States. The time lags can work in your favour at times.
  • Chrissy Hansen
    I have used, MyOSH, Vault, Viking, Mango, IRIS (for Event management) and verious complicated inhouse systems. I prefer Mango even though it is an Australian system.
  • craig christie
    Hi Chrissy, we do have the general risk register however we tend to be more task specific via SWMS rather than generic registers as we have multiple sites
  • Mandy Gudgeon
    Hello Gordon,
    Our organization (Palliative Care, Community Nursing and Retail shops) is using Risk Manager but we intend to review other options this year. I'd be really interested in what you discover (if you intend to share?).
  • Mark G
    Hi Gordon
    We operate Bware-Safety Manager, this is a great integrated product which we use in the wider construction industry, however it is just versatile across retail, manufacturing and other sectors.
    Very cost effective, 'off the shelf' product that provides significant customisation to your need.
    The added value is easy access to customer support and advice as it is a NZ based/designed system
  • Mark Jennings
    A company that I work with uses the SHE Assure software system
  • Pam Graham
    Hi Gordon,
    At NMIT we use NZ based Assura software (based in Christchurch).
  • Janet Mary Houston
    Hey Gordon
    I work with several clients and they all have different systems - I agree with Mark G above - please do investigate BWARE - I'm Safety Manager at Kapiti Coast Airport and it works well there just as it would in a construction or even office setting. Other systems I use at a variety of clients include Risk Manager, GOSH and Vault - happy to share my feelings on those if you want to email me directly.
  • Gordon
    Thanks Janet will be sure to contact you.
  • Tim Beach
    Over the years I have used a number of different software platforms.
    The system I adopted around 5 years ago is SafetyBase (safetybase.co.nz)
    This is a system developed by an experienced and practical NZ H&S consultant after he saw a need many years ago. I like it because it is simple and intuitive and enables us to capture most of what we need.
    With sites and workers all across NZ SafetyBase enables the workers (currently we have around 400 active employee users and growing) to input their own reports (Incident/ Injury, Hazards, Site and workshop Checklists, Vehicle checklists, observations, etc) via a push platform and emails a link to their manager to advise a new report is available to enable the manager to log in and manage the report. In addition it captures training, emergency records, safety meeting minutes, procedures, safety plans, contractor data, visitor data, documents, etc.
    It has mobile devise capability, is customizable and adaptable, good reporting capability (with an upgrade currently occurring) and secure. Data can be bulk uploaded and downloaded in CSV to integrate into other business platforms. The charging and development costs don't break the bank either.
  • Sarah Munro
    We used Assura for a few years, but found it to be a bit too technical for some of our operators to use, and found that no H&S issues or events ever got entered unless the H&S Coordinator stood there and helped the operators enter it in. It has a huge range of options, I don't think we used it 100% correctly to be honest but we also found it was way to involved and in depth for what we wanted.
  • Gordon
    Hi Mandy
    Yes will share after October, thanks fir your response.
  • Gordon
    Thanks Tim I will follow up
  • Kip Mandeno
    Keeping it simple using a excel for all HSQE management why pay subscriptions when you can do it all for the exsiting cost of MS Office, we even fill out Worksafe notfications automatically from it courtesy of macros. The nice bit is if we want a change it happens now not when the help desk can do it. Most H&S software I have come across meets the proverbial "sledge hammer to crack a nut" measure. Handy if you want to have lots of reports for looking good but does it add value?
  • Sheri Greenwell
    Yes, and also rather than simply creating digital versions of long-time hard copy documents and processes, it's a great opportunity to reassess what you really need in the digital age and re-think some processes. Pre-digital systems had different needs for communication, etc that are often no longer necessary with digital communication tools and updated thinking.
  • Sheri Greenwell
    If you can, identify current users of the systems you are considering, and go and talk with them about it. Get them to show you how it works and ask them what works well and what doesn't work well. Don't rely on just a sales presentation - they can bedazzle you with a slick presentation, but you want to know how well the platform works and other related issues like how responsive the provider is, how good the service is, how helpful they are with issues and requests for modifications (very few platforms really work perfectly for everyone "as is").

Make sure you do your due diligence on the provider as well as the platform itself - you're setting up a long-term relationship with them when you sign onto their product.
  • Gordon
    Thanks Sheri. I am now at the project stage and your comments make a lot of sense.
  • Phil Anderson
    We Use Vault - Damstra
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.