• Mandy Gudgeon
    Needing some advice and direction please folks. (Currently level 2 area, BOP.)
    My organisation operates 7 second hand goods stores to provide half the funding for our primary health care service. Now that Delta is here I'd appreciate any sage advice you may have.
    Donated goods received are quarantined for 72 hours OR sanitized by a fogging machine using using a general purpose antiviral surface disinfectant. Goods can include furniture, bric-a-brac, clothing, toys, books, household items etc. Our changing rooms are operating again at level 2, most have open tops but some have a roof, curtains or doors.
    There appears to be be very little guidance for the retail sector on such matters, so if anyone could point me in the right direction that would be terrific.
  • KeithH
    @Mandy Gudgeon
    MoH will be the best to provide guidance - MoH Contact and Support

"Business advice
    A free COVID-19 business helpline service is available for all New Zealand businesses. This includes sole traders.

Get support and advice on:
    • government financial support, for example Wage Subsidy Scheme and Resurgence Support Payment
    • what different Alert Levels mean for your business
    • business continuity
    • finding free or subsidised expert help, for example a business mentor or advisor.
    • Employers can also get specific advice on people challenges, including staffing changes, employee wellness, and meeting your health and safety obligations.

To find out more call 0800 500 362 for North Island, or 0800 50 50 96 for South Island."
  • Jane
    These folks may be able to help, Catherine has posted up here a few days ago.
    https://www.shopcare.org.nz/covid19resources
  • Mandy Gudgeon
    Thank you Jane, wasn't aware of the Retail Sector Protocols released on Friday!!
    However there really is very little literature I have found around ensuring donated goods, on-sold are 'clean'.
    MOH are slow to respond to specific questions and just guide you to their general documents.
  • Steve H
    However there really is very little literature I have found around ensuring donated goods, on-sold are 'clean'.Mandy Gudgeon

Possibly, in addition to the things you are already doing, exposing the items to UVC light would provide some additional peace of mind (bearing in mind that emitters of UVC are also producing Ozone) Here's a link to a review of systems that do this A Critical Review on Ultraviolet Disinfection Systems against COVID-19 Outbreak: Applicability, Validation, and Safety Considerations
  • Mandy Gudgeon
    Cheers for that Steve, now to try to understand it :)
  • Steve H
    This page will simplify things considerably Mandy, UVC wands kill viruses. Experts warn they're also a 'major safety issue' But with the safety issues addressed, it could be a way to deal with donations coming in from the community.
  • Sheri Greenwell
    Have you done a risk assessment to identify / quantify risks?

The primary transmission pathway has been identified as airborne aerosols from people's respiratory vapours, rather than surface contacts, so I would think that the risk of transmission via contact with the objects themselves would be relatively low, especially if they are not being transferred directly from one person's hands to another. Wouldn't all the other usual protocols be sufficient? i.e., suitable ventilation (natural or mechanical), masks, hand-washing, physical distancing
  • Mandy Gudgeon
    Thank you Gerri, yes risk reviews are part of normal operations these days, especially with over 800 elderly volunteers we rely on. Cheers all, I think feel we are doing all we can in these strange times.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.