• Craig
    Hi everyone.
    I'm new to the health and safety sector. I've recently finished a diploma in occupational health and safety via Southern Institute of Technology. I've been searching for work for a little while and I notice that most positions ask for many years experience. Which is fair enough.
    My problem is that I can't get experience because I need experience.
    I was wondering if anyone had any magical insights they could share or helpful hints that could increase my chances.
    The only thing left for me at the moment is to hope that an entry level job comes up. One day.

• Theresa Khatchian
    Hi Craig - have you thought about asking organisations or H&S Practitioners if you can shadow them so you can gain that insight to give you practical experience.
  • Craig
    That is a good idea. But I wouldn't know where to start and who to ask.
  • Theresa Khatchian
    Email me and I will try and give you some ideas etc around this :nerd:
  • Craig
    Email sent. Thanks heaps.
  • Kim Pryor
    Hi Craig - I'd been keen to help, I can offer you some interview tips that might be useful and may be able to organise for you to spend some time at our site getting a feel for a manufacturing environment (I'm Auckland based). I cant do much this side of Xmas but if you'd like to flick me an email I can certainly help in the new year. .
  • Sheree Box
    Hi Craig
    I know what you mean ,it's hard to find a job with out experience. Also keen to help email at
  • Stuart Keer-KeerAccepted Answer
    The company I work for is active in this field. They only take on people with no experience but a passion to learn. Other companies employ a lot of staff from our company.

I know they are looking for a qualified person with no experience now.
  • Craig
    Hi all.
    I welcome any help at all really.
    Thanks Kim. But I'm in Wellington and probably wouldn't be able to get up to Auckland. Happy to chat via email though.
    Thanks Sheree. Will email.
    Thanks Stuart. I'll email you also. Keen to hear about this position you mention.
  • Craig
    Sorry I got excited. Feel free to email me on
    Thanks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.