• Robert Mackie
    Hi Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone has developed, or uses pocket-sized information/tools that support their physical workers undertake risk assessments (or anything that helps keep people safe). Whether this be a prompt to get them thinking about risks, or is their company procedure, just in a more digestible format.

Any information, or just hearing your experience would be much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Robert Mackie
    Wellington Water
  • Take 5 OHS Consultants
    Hi Robert,

We make the Take 5 range. A lot of business really enjoy the products and find they cover all abilities.
    https://www.take5.nz/
  • Kim Pryor
    Have you considered using an app on a smart phone. There is a free android app called Take 5 which you can use for a quick risk assessment. it asks basic questions, prompts for controls and when your done you can email to yourself or whoever needs it. You can also log a hazard report.
  • Brian Parker
    Take 5 is good.
    We use our own in-house system called a 'START Card' which is the same sort of concept.
    I'm quite happy to share it with you if you contact me directly on
  • James Williamson
    Hi Robert
    Check out Saferme phone app, a Wellington based company.
    www.safer.me
  • Nathan Gordon
    Hi Robert,

I know SiteSafe have a pocket book option they hand out, and I remember seeing one on their web site.
  • Andrew Jorgensen
    NZSafety sold take 5 notebooks last year - not sure if they still do
  • Rachael
    Don't know if this helps, but it's about connecting information with people and tasks right?

if you think of the crew as learners and then work out how they like to learn, what they like to learn about and how to make the risk management process relevant to them (and not a completely separate subject/planet), the rest will come.

We started with notebooks a few years ago which have a basic matrix in them, but although they are still used occasionally, we still have a few boxfuls of unused ones in a cupboard somewhere. We also have the risk management process and matrix on a couple of A3 sheets around the sites. But in all honesty, although great as a tool for describing a process, they've been almost useless as a way of preventing incidents.

We've found moving to 'everyday risk management' far more useful - it works much the same way as 'everyday leadership'.

There is very little formal risk management 'training', but it happens very often and in a variety of ways. Some of it is scheduled but most is unscheduled and all is with a consistant message "What could happen?".

It might be asking someone a question about the job they are doing as I (or a manager) pass them, getting the crew together to do a quick scenario, talking through one thing properly at a toolbox meeting or checking an isolation process, etc so the team are constantly 'doing' risk management.

Ironically, if you asked most of the team "what is the risk management process?" or "did you do a Take 5" they wouldn't be able to tell you using the 'right' words, and if you asked them how much risk management training they'd had they probably also shrug and say "none lately".

But if you asked them what the dangers were in the job they do, they would not hesitate to tell you everything that could go wrong and what they do about it so it doesn't go wrong.

As I said, don't know if it helps or if I'm off-base with what you were after, but that has been our experience. Oh and only the formal training is documented ;)

:)
  • Tania Curtin
    I love this approach!

It totally depends on the people, what they need and what will work for them. Try brainstorming with them - you'll be surprised at some of the awesome ideas the 'worker bees' have!
  • Rob McAulay
    Hi Robert,
    We have developed our own card based upon our risk management standard, this will be provided to staff during our Risk management Update sessions in the new year.
    Happy to share, but be warned one small aspect is based upon our Corporate Standard but otherwise it is pretty general. Please email me direct if you would like a copy, my email is
  • Chris Hyndman
    Hi, previously I worked for a company who produced a pocket sized booklet giving bullet points on the hazards and controls that you would likely come across as well as information on other hazards that you may see, such as construction work, use of MEWPs etc.
    The booklet was there to give a bit of guidance on what to look for in a dynamic assessment (Take 5) but came into its own by providing people with a starting point for holding conversations to support the "We will never walk past an unsafe act" ethos of the workforce. The biggest benefit was that it took the fear away when approaching someone carrying out a task that looked unsafe but the viewer didn't have the level of skill to be sure and didn't want to look foolish.
  • Rachael
    The biggest benefit was that it took the fear away when approaching someone carrying out a task that looked unsafe but the viewer didn't have the level of skill to be sure and didn't want to look foolish.
    That would be so helpful! Approaching others is such a huge hurdle even when you know your stuff, it's almost impossible when you don't know what good (or bad) looks like :)
    (Am totally stealing this adding this idea to the toolkit)
  • Jan Hall
    Yup. Always, always 'worker participation' doesn't really flourish with matrices and notebooks. Particularly on worksites where frontline workers are not particularly comfortable with the written word.

Approaching others? Yes, indeed. Very few people feel they can do that. Mostly in any discussion about looking after ourselves AND our fellow workers, it is good to suggest that anyone in doubt might consult with their supervisor and that this is NOT 'informing against' anyone but rather, keeping the environment and their fellow workers safe.
  • Robert Mackie

Hi Rachel,

Thanks a lot for your message - it's really helpful.

We know worker engagement is really hard to keep the momentum up, and with our supply chain being at arm's length we are just looking forwards where we can influence them. Like you say, the ultimate outcome is preventing incidents.

It would be great if I could talk to you more about this. My email address is if you are keen to discuss further?

Thanks,
    Robert
  • Laraine
    The ACC Risk Cards are good. They are now available online.

Laraine
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.