• Campbell Thomson
    Has anyone implemented active temperature screening of employees and others coming to their workplace using a hand held infra red thermometer during this Covid-19 situation. If so how are you managing this with matters e.g Privacy, what if person's temp. shows signs of fever?, incorrect temp. readings, safe place to monitor, recording, training, spec for thermometer, calibration?
  • Andrew
    I guess people are aware that you cannot discriminate against a person because of a disability which includes physical illness.

If a person turns up with a "temperature" and you have no idea what has caused it what are you going to do?
  • Admin
    Good move. We live in uncertain times and no one has all the answers, let alone all the best questions. Self-doubt is our friend. [End of philosophical statement.]
  • Cam Smailes
    My friend continues to work for an essential business and the workplace is utilising the infrared thermometer daily. However they share the role of this function around each worker allowing for bad handover/limited training hence he was told his temp was 96 the other day (person had left it on farenheit...).
  • Theresa Khatchian
    We are currently looking at these for the frontline staff at the Courts but not completely sold on the idea as they are not that reliable going by the information I have found on goggle.
  • Alex P
    My partners workplace (essential service) is looking at implementing this with no consideration to the health and safety of the person doing checks. They're already doing this at other plants of theirs.

- She has consulted health professionals who strongly discourage the idea of temperature testing
    - The workplace in question can't get the appropriate PPE. Face masks, face shield, gowns, coveralls - of which all medical professionals are currently wearing when testing
    - They have no process in place for dealing with someone who may present a high temp
    - Temperature alone (greater than 38 degrees) is no longer seen as a reliable symptom. People can still be carriers without this

The workpalce have been told that other workplaces around the country are presently doing this and she is absolutely gutted that they are pursing this!
    We sought advice from WorkSafe, who said to contact MoH.

It sounds like medical professionals are strongly advising against workplace temp check, unless they are qualified, have the appropriate PPE and have processes in place for dealing with workers who present symptoms.
  • Jo Prigmore
    The WHO mythbusters page confirms that people can be contagious way before they develop a fever. I'd be worried that we get complacent about handwashing & good hygiene techniques if we think everyone is OK because they didn't have a temperature
    https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/advice-for-public/myth-busters
  • Campbell Thomson
    Thanks for all the replies, very helpful
  • Rachael
    Thermal Testing is a directive from high above so we are putting it in place. It's actually quite a simple process that we're adding to our 'Landing Card' process (everyone has to fill in a card each day that asks them whether they have stayed in their bubble and abided by lockdown conditions when off site - yes it works pretty well and everyone has been great with it)

• Get permission
    • Line up (2 m apart)
    • Hand Landing Card over
    • Authorised person wearing appropriate PPE takes landing card, checks it, takes workers temp using infrared devicey thingy.
    • If 37.7 or above the worker goes into the quarantine box for 3 mins then retested.
    • If temp is still high they quarantine for ten minutes then retest.
    • If temp is still high at that point they are sent off site with the instructions to head to their nearest Covid testing service. They have to self isolate until the results come in.
    • Everything is sanitised between worker etc etc
  • Chris Anderson
    This seems like a very risky approach as you're essentially playing doctor. Additionally if you are the ones sending the worker off work, and to their doctor your workplace must be covering the costs of this (i.e. it can't be coming out of an employee's sick leave entitlements).
  • Rachael

Nope not a doctor, (there are no diagnostics), just monitoring under the guidance of an OHN (which we have) and yes on the rest. :)

Plus it's not our idea, it's a directive from on high. No-one said it was a cheap or perfect directive. On the other hand I guess you could put it under hazard identification?
  • robyn moses
    We here are in our third week of doing it for all workers, visitors and contractors though we have limited the number of visitors on site and using drop boxes for those who need to come in daily e.g. courier/lab collections and contractors to outside normal operating hours to reduce number of persons on site at any one time. We had occupational nurses conduct the training for key staff (first aiders/health and safety, supervisors) carrying out the tests and PPE requirements are mask, gloves, safety glasses. No entry is permitted to anyone who has not consented. We have erected a shipping container at the front entrance with separation distances. Staff reach the 2 meter mark distance from the assessor where they hand sanatise and are asked flu symptom questions, contact with covid 19 persons, and other than work and their bubble where else have they been. If no concerns raised by the questions they come forward to the 1 meter mark where their temperature is taken with a hand held infa-red, anyone with a temperature of >34 degrees is then subject to ear thermometer test. Anyone turned away at the 1 or 2 meter mark moves to individual isolation areas from which they then leave the site and are contact by HR. Yes privacy is an issue as there is often only 2 meters between you and the person lined up behind you. We process 150 workers daily at this site, 500 at another site who have just installed a walk through scanner, one of which goes in here next week. Over the 3 weeks as a result of the screening three staff turned away were then directed by medical practioners for a covid 19 test, persons in their bubbles were immediately stood down, a worker whose husband in transport came home with the symptoms and was subsequently tested for covid 19, 6 staff off for 14 days because of contact with covid- 19 persons suspected or otherwise. Another business in our industry lost 40% of their workforce for 14 days as a result of the matamata cluster. The data we have collated over that 3 weeks is invaluable and is giving us pointers to look out for with anyone suspected of covid. On top of all of this government requirements have seen us have to installed two separate access/egress points and 6 hand basins plus physical barriers between workers. The local GP with whom we have a contract with to send our workers too is not seeing any of our workers for the foreseeable future. Re: the privacy issues, workers/union have been fully supportive of the new protocols to keep them and their families safe. The business considers that the above regime will be the new normal going forward. We were required to do all of this by government and industry guidelines in order to have in place a registered Covid-19 Food Safety Plan. Has my work load increased hell yes. Has these changes been driven by HS no. By HR and Food Safety Industry, yes.
  • MattD2
    Plus it's not our idea, it's a directive from on high.Rachael
    Should there be a challenge to the thoughts of those up high as to the validity of their request - just because you can doesn't mean you should. What have those that have made the decision based the decision on? As Jo pointed out there is plenty of chance for infected but currently non-symptomatic (or worse asymptomatic) people getting through the check-point... and then potential thinking everything is fine and putting less effort into good hygiene and other measures as if "they" really were a risk to other surely they wouldn't of been let in the door with all that rigmarole!

Also the landing card is a little surprising since one of the main controls being pushed is to limit touch point interactions where possible, but this is adding multiple places where a potentially infected person is made to handle an object that then is handled by another to check it, the potential more when they are archived (as I expect this is also in place to potentially build a "paper trial" to prove that if there was an outbreak the "patient-0" didn't let the company know so how could the company have stopped it).
    Could the landing card questions could be covered without the card if it is critical that they are asked/recorded?

(I don't mean this to come across as damning taking action - I just think we need to always challenge the actions we are taking and if they are creating other, potentially worse, risks)
  • Rachael

Hi Matt - going to reply by quoting Robyn (above).

We were required to do all of this by government and industry guidelines in order to have in place a registered Covid-19 Food Safety Plan. Has my work load increased hell yes. Has these changes been driven by HS no. By HR and Food Safety Industry, yes.

Re the landing card - controls are in place for checking and accepting these and they provide a level of traceability that we wouldn't otherwise have. Again, directives from on high.

When it's feeding the hoardes vs not feeding them, she's a pretty high authority to argue with question :)
  • MattD2
    thanks for the response Rachael - am I reading it right that there are standard measures required by MPI for manufacturing sites? Interested to read up a bit more if it is so, do you have any specific guidelines with the details? All I can find in so generic advice on the MPI website.

I do realise and understand that sometimes it is easier to just get on and do whatever they dictate to keep the wheels running - but sometimes the bureaucracy can unintentionally cause inefficiency for no real benefit in the name of "just in case", which does need to be challenged (and sometimes the bureaucrats also need to be learn to listen to what the actual problems are better).
  • Rachael

Hi Matt - Happy Easter

It comes under the evidencial requirements for the attached (from the MPI website) and is directed by people far more experienced with MPI and the Govt requirements than me (and I suspect possibly you as well). Much like WorkSafe's website, it's all vague advice - until you've worked with them enough to understand the expectations that lie in the silence between words.

That said, my initial response was to Campbell's question of 'who and how' re Thermal Testing. I know there are other businesses who are considering, or are in the process of implementing, thermal testing. Some of them may be represented on this forum and they may want to add their 'who and how' knowledge or questions here without fear of the many opinions around the 'why'.

If there are any further pro-cons of thermal testing to be discussed should it probably be done in a new thread? :)
    Attachment
    Capture (57K)
  • robyn moses
    Expectations that lie in the silence between words says it all. Yes we have a risk management program of which hygiene and movement is key so that product safety/quality is not compromiaed by workers direct or indirect actions.. E. G failure to follow standard hand wash process or hanging with people outside their bubbles put product at risk if large % of experienced process workers are quarantined so covid food safety plan fits there and alll practicable steps have to be taken to prevent that hence more wash stations separate access egress for solicial distancing and temperature checks ect. We find the thermo test is always 2-4 degrees lower than ear thernometer so if thermo reads 32-34celcius the ear temp is taken. There is another guideline been released on people from different bubbles sharing transport to work or work transport that MPI now requires us to manage
  • MattD2

Thanks Rachael - happy Easter too. Fair enough on pulling up on the original intention of the thread.

I expect the more experienced people have been talking these plans through with MPI/WorkSafe to clarify the unsaid expectations - as I have found in the past that talking a proposed plan over with WorkSafe quickly does provide clarification.

One thing I will say is for those thinking of implementing (or have implemented) temperature monitoring checkpoints on sites, remember why you are doing it - to reduce the risk of SARS-CoV-2 / COVID-19 spreading through your workplace/workforce. Consider providing unlimited sick-leave for any employee that suspects they have been exposed to / infected by the virus to allow them to get tested and quarantine until the results come back. And for contractors ways of work that allows for them to work with no close contact with your staff (e.g. provide separate break/hygiene facilities) or postpone work if required. Main thing is consider if removing the pressure to turn up to work (with a slight risk of infecting others) might be more effective than trying to police workers that are likely also worried about how they are going to get through this even if they don't have to take time off work themselves.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.