• Michelle Gillman
    Hi everyone,
    Does anyone know if there are any figures available about the gender break down of health and safety professionals in New Zealand? A topic came up on LinkedIn and I was wondering whether it is as male-dominated here as in some other countries. Any sources of data available?
  • MattD2
    The Safeguard income survey has included a basic income by male/female overall, but no breakdown of gender in the other areas surveyed.
    The 2019 survey summary was posted the 2020 survey thread on here - https://forum.safeguard.co.nz/discussion/404/safeguard-income-survey-2020-closes-friday
    You could possibly ask @Peter Bateman for the raw (anonymised) data.
  • Peter Bateman
    The 2019 Safeguard incomes survey had 456 responses of which 46.3% were male and 52.8% female. The 2020 survey - to be published in the next magazine - is about the same. How indicative the survey is of the broad H&S practitioner population is open to question, but it's probably a fair indicator until a better one comes along.
  • MattD2
    From that gender split and the info in table 3 of the 2019 published report (Total full time included = 405, Male = 201, Female =203) that it would appear that the gender split for those in part time H&S jobs would be nearly 4 females to every 1 male.
  • Jon Harper-Slade
    Hi @Michelle Gillman

The split between male and female members of NZISM is almost 50/50 (838 Female:842 Male).

Cheers

Jon :-)
  • Chris Peace
    Hi Michelle and other colleagues
    I just checked the split for the paper I'm teaching for the MA at Victoria University this trimester. The split is almost exactly 50/50 with 9 male and 11 female students.
    And while 12 are Kiwis, the others are quite a multinational group.
  • Selena Armstrong
    Hi all, currently NZISM membership is 49.6% female and 50.4% male. Our stats change regularly as we grow our membership. Earlier this year, for the first time we had more female members than males which reached a peak of 53.7% females. In the lead up to this peak we generally sat at about 45% female to 55% male. But with a good portion of the profession amongst our members I am confident that the current 50/50 split represents the market.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.