• Craig Scarlett
    Hi forum,
    I'm interested in understanding what is common practice is across NZ for using safety spotters on the ground while working with MEWPs (mobile elevated work platforms).

WorkSafe guidance on the subject is available of course, as is advice from the EWP Association of NZ.

I'm interested in how this is being interpreted.

So forum members, a question: when do you mandate the use of a safety spotter during MEWP work tasks?

Thanks
  • Chris Anderson
    We mandate that there must be a spotter at all times when using a MEWP
  • Andrew
    No safety spotters here (shouldn't it be Risk Spotter?).

We have had suppliers quote that has included labour for a Spotter. This put the price of work up with no improvement in work outcome. Suppliers couldn't meaningfully articulate what value the spotter provided. So these suppliers weren't used.

If there are risks at ground level that an extra pair of eyes might see that the operator can't then there might be an argument for a spotter. Generally an exclusion area to keep people out of drop zone is enough.
  • Chris Hyndman
    It'll all come down to the Risk Assessment findings. As Andrew says, if the work area is flat, adequately fenced off and there are no voids, or power lines then there's less need than in an area without physical segregation of pedestrians or other traffic, blind corners, undulating land etc.

The lone working aspect and provision of persons at ground level who are able to assist in the event of arrested falls or mechanism failure is another can of worms matter :smile:
  • Brendan Woodnutt
    EWP Spotters

Depends on the risk of working environment. Trained EWP operators for work in transpower stations - the spotter is a must. If there is a chance of difficult or dangerous access then its a must but just changing a sign painting a building then i would say not. Sadly like most of health and safety there is no hard and fast rule but reliant on risk.
  • lee caplin
    It's about assessing the risk, following a hierarchy of control and then implementing those controls.
    Generally would look at isolating the area, then use a spotter when their are maneuvering risks, risk of unauthorised persons in proximity to the MEWP or overhead services.
    I would be cautious of implementing a blanket rule, as some situations a spotter could increase the risk, if they are unskilled, distracted or in a potential dropped object zone.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.