• Andrew
    I have now had an opportunity to catch up on the "Live Chat" from the other day. Sorry I missed it - too busy trying to keep people in work and paid.

Gottata say I was surprised and disappointed no mention of the mental health of our workforce during lock down and post level 4.

As a sector we seem to be silent on getting workers back into productive work as soon as possible.

We seem to be content to be blindly led into a world with work restrictions not aligned to the HSWA and where we accept redundancy and reduced pay as the new norm without a word of the mental effect this will have on our people.

I have a workforce still recovering from Canterbury earthquakes. I have alcoholism, spousal abuse, child abuse, mental decay of the paranoid schizophrenia, suicide and the depressed on my radar. Substance abuse hasn't previously been a problem but it (and the associated mental harm) will be.

Every day out of productive work is a day of potential heightened mental harm. And this saddens me greatly!
  • Petra Hakansson
    Hi Andrew. Good to see a post like yours. We work with panic solutions and have been talking to our existing clients (a lot of councils) and other organisations about the increased risk in the community which a lot of them are seeing first hand. I'm so worried about all the things you mention, and dismayed that we're not hearing any mention of those numbers in the press briefings. We need to know so that we can all be aware and try help. I'm a business owner (small business with 3 staff) so it's easier for me but I'm speaking to all 3 regularly about how they're coping (two have children at home) and how their finances are looking with their partners work etc. It's real and it's raw. We're fortunate that we're in a good position and not at risk of going under, and while I know that, as the owner, I've made sure I'm reiterating that to my team regularly. And I'm making sure I'm buying local as much as i can! Anyone in charge of teams, or with influence has power, and should make sure they use that power for good (always, but in particular right now) which you clearly are. Well done you. Take care and be safe.
  • MattD2
    I'm so worried about all the things you mention, and dismayed that we're not hearing any mention of those numbers in the press briefings. We need to know so that we can all be aware and try help.Petra Hakansson

The issue with the Government sharing this information is that it will conflict with their current focus of restrictions and mantra of "elimination of the virus". It will prompt more people to question if what we are doing is actually the best way forward, which then erodes their ability to control the masses into their intended direction.

We can't seriously manage all of the outcomes that this pandemic is causing while we are fixated on a single outcome!
  • Aaron Marshall
    This is my worry too, and for SME's, its where the economic impact and safety impact intersect. I think we will reach a point (or already have) where the numbers of businesses failing will lead to an increase in our suicide rate which matches the risks of Covid.
    The mental health issue is one which affects SME owners as much, as, if not more than, staff. Those of us who work with them need to make sure that we're having the same conversations with owners as with the employees.
  • Michael Wilson
    We are looking at the implementing the good yarns programme. In the mean time I found this a good starting point.

https://conversations.movember.com/
  • robyn moses
    Note quite a number of unexplained deaths since the start of level 4, where the article says no other person is sought in relation to the death and the matter has been referred to the coroner - suicide is very real - remember too that covid came at the end of xmas/summer where many spent in anticipation of making up the loss during the year, loss of financial independence, or uncertainty of continued financial independence and/or responsibility for the financial independence of your workforce/suppliers will put many into a deep abyss -heart-breaking the death of the young pukekohe mad butcher and the ripple on effects for his family and community. In our workplace we are seeing many hit all the red buttons for psychosocial factors e.g. major disruption to social/work integration/support/status, loneliness, altered workplace conditions and for some bereavement all of this manifests in depressed, anxious, acting out, heightened emotions in our workers...many will not share or seek help for fear of putting there job in jeopardy we have had almost 99% attendance throughout this and this is an abnormally for us.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.