• Jane
    Hi everyone,
    Has anyone had success with finding facemasks for covid risk mitigation that work well for hot summer days and/or when working closely together doing manual labour?

Interested in recommendations for reusable or single-use, and as it would not be needed often and it is for few of our workers, we can handle the cost being higher if needed.

I figure there are lots of industries that have already worked through this, PM me if that is easier.

Please note: this is not a question relating to risk assessments, ventilation, use of PPE as last resort, physical distancing, engineering controls, vaccinations or vaccination mandates. Please take all that as read.
  • Sandra Nieuwoudt
    I also would like to see any comments/responses on this.

We don't even do physical labour and our team in the laboratory finds it hard as their visibility is now poor for some wearing safety glasses, and yes they are wearing antifox glasses and we also have wipes that seem to work a bit better.

And yes I agree with you it is not about RA's etc.
  • E Baxter
    All masks that fit tightly to the face are going to be hot and uncomfortable when wearing for long periods. Those that are vented are a little more comfortable. Powered air is a lot nicer to wear as its a hood and with fresh air blown in via a battery pack but they are definitely more of an investment.
  • Steve H
    Something like this Like the idea of including a HEPA filter
  • E Baxter
    More like this https://nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/3m-jupiter-powered-air-respirator-each-117877 & https://nzsafetyblackwoods.co.nz/en/3m-versaflo-headcover-integ-head-suspension-s-333l-large-each-406535
    The unit actively blows air into the hood so there is no extra effort to breathe. Very good for asthmatics & those with facial hair
  • Steve H
    Hmmm, the price of Blackwoods offering is a significant investment at $2,505.74 incl. GST, wouldn't want to kit out a bunch of folk on a production line at that rate, or a mobile work force that has been known to leave stuff behind. While not in the same protective league, this one would probably provide the level of comfort sought, and the protection needed
  • MattD2
    And yes I agree with you it is not about RA's etc.Sandra Nieuwoudt

The problem is context in this case - From Jane's comment I take it as read that a Risk Assessment has been done for Covid risks, and that "masks" have been identified as a suitable control... the context I meant before is there is a range of RPE available for all different situations. So far in this thread the suggestions have been related to powered / positive pressure RPE, however (my understanding) is the benefit of "masks" regarding Covid risks is to minimise the spread of the virus breathed/coughed out from an infected person rather than protecting the wearer from infection (illustrated by the recommendation not to use vented masks which make breathing out easier) - so while there is probably some benefit to powered RPE they probably do not provide the risk management of the "masks" stated in the risk assessment.
    @Jane I'm trying to stay away from saying "do a risk assessment" :), so I'm just saying is if you do go with an alternative mask option, that you check back that it does what it was assumed a mask would be doing as the assessed risk control.

Regarding other options;
    I have found that the "best fit" of masks the available is highly personnel, the mask my wife likes I hate (and vice versa), so it may be that you cannot standardise on providing any one mask and providing a range of available masks or an allowance for purchasing masks may be required.
    Also consider what procedural controls are needed alongside the mask PPE, it may be that more frequent breaks, e.g. even a quick 1 minute break apart (physically distanced) to remove masks and have a breather every 10-15 minutes (e.g. every pallet stacked) may alleviate so of the issues.
  • Tina Heads

Have you looked at the anti-fog masks with nose clips or the full duck bill masks - we have a few to trial that are from Australia
  • KeithH
    At the risk of sounding facetious, try teaching wearers to breathe while wearing face masks. While this does not address the OP’s original query, the method of breathing (inhaling and exhaling) contributes significantly whether glasses or googles become fogged up.

There is an underlying presumption that users either breathe correctly or are instructed in correct techniques. I may be wrong but I also may be right.

For a suggested breathing method based on that used when SCUBA diving, try here and here
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.