• Graham Pimm
    My husband can drive it, is very aware of health and safety and is aware he can't drive out on the public road. Is he ok to drive this peice of machinery on private property without any issues?
  • Graham Pimm
    Is there no one out there that can confirm this is allowable ?
  • Andrew P
    Excuse my ignorance but what is a "Manitou"
  • Sheri Greenwell
    Whose 'private property' and for what purpose? Is he driving for hire or reward? If so, follow this hierarchy of what would be considered 'reasonably practical':
    1. Any applicable legislation or regulations
    2. Any relevant industry standards
    3. Any relevant codes of practice
    4. Any WorkSafe NZ (or similar) Guidelines documents

Also important to conduct and document due diligence, appropriate risk assessment and work plans that consider all conditions / parameters of planned work, including:
    - machinery and equipment to be used
    - any / all other vehicles, machinery and equipment to be used in the same area
    - site / environment conditions (ie different conditions on flat land compared to steep or hilly land, daylight vs nighttime, etc)
    - people in the area doing work
    - communication requirements for overlapping / interfacing work activities
  • Matthew Bennett
    Hi Andrew - Manitou is a brand of telehandler - it looks like a cross between a forklioft and a crane.
  • Matthew Bennett
    Hi Graham. To the best of my knowledge there is no license requirement to operate a Manitou (telehandler). There are unit standards that establish a persons training / competence, however they are not a mandatory requirement, rather act as evidence to the workplace that the person has been trained to use one. Then it falls onto the PCBU(s) to meet thier H+S duties as Sheri has outlined.
  • Graham Pimm
    Thank you everyone for your input.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.