• Andrew
    Why would these people be wearing Hi viz:
    https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/106111743/govt-unemployed-youth-need-dignity-of-work

(just tells me they are clueless about industry, risk, and protection)
  • Chris Hewitt
    From the bottom photo, I'd guess this press conference wasn't in a parliamentary briefing room but actually at a worksite.
  • Paul Robertson
    From the notes, it looks like it was held at the Downer yard in Porirua, which has a high amount of traffic. There is also a requirement for all staff and visitors to wear high-viz in the warehouse (which is where the photos were taken).
  • Phil McKie
    Why weren't they shown that the correct way to use a hiviz is to have it done up?
  • Andrew
    Why is our Prime Minister and Willie Jackson being exposed to forklift drivers with inadequate eye sight?

I'd have thought you would see a parliamentary posse from a mile away.

And wheres the Worksafe Policy Advisors - my advice would be "don't go into an active worksite"
  • Paul Robertson
    Aside from some operational and environmental assumptions being made in that statement, I almost guarantee they shut down operations for the period they were in there, however they also aren't in a habit of making exemptions from their PPE policy as it just leads to statements from workers like "I wasn't wearing my PPE because I couldn't see anyone operating"! Agree or disagree, but sometimes you just have to use the policy as it's written (which wasn't written with this situation in mind).
  • Phil McKie
    I think parliamentarians probably enjoy putting on a hiviz makes them feel they are actually working and part of the workforce.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.