• Jo Moar
    Looking for some assistance as we are struggling to work out a solution.

We have a set of long clear plastic curtains that are hung at the entrance to our storeroom. These are placed there to stop birds getting into the retail area. However they are causing a problem as they are getting caught by our ladder trolleys as they are pushed through. Unfortunately we have had two incidences in the last month where the flaps have flicked back and hit someone in the face causing bad bruising.

We are looking for an alternative solution. A roller door is impractical and moving the curtains to the exterior doors means that they will be caught by forklifts and reachtrucks movements which are constant. Any thoughts outside of the box?

Thanks in advance

Photos here
  • MattD2
    Can you elaborate on why a roller door has been considered impractical? In a lot of cases like this I have seen rapid roller doors installed (the canvas/fabric type). I can see a normal roller door being impractical, but the rapid ones are really built for this problem.
    https://ultigroup.co.nz/products/ulti-group-product-range/door-systems/high-speed-doors
    Just an example, don't take it as a product endorsement :wink: (but the Fastrax name seems to ring some bells!)
  • robyn moses
    Interested to hear what solutions are proposed we have a similar problem with plastic flaps in front of freezer doors to stop air getting in when door is opened, staff tend to walk backwards until clear of the flaps when entering
  • Steve H
    Think Matt is on the money Jo, these style doors can be activated by proximity or motion sensors to react to a person or forklift. I have seen them used in a variety of production/storage situations,

https://www.acedoors.co.nz/project/speedshutter/

https://www.glideaway.co.nz/range/high-speed-doors-industrial-and-commercial

https://www.dynacodoor.com/en/DYNACO-high-speed-door-with-printed-door-curtain-installed-in-supermarket-in-New-Zealand
  • Mandy Gudgeon
    Hi there Jo, our depot have a procedure they follow and it is working.
    The correct way to move through the curtains is:
    1. Use your hands to part the curtains when walking through, or hold the curtains back with your hands when passing though.
    2. When carry anything, the correct technique is to walk backwards through the curtains. This also applies when using the Dolly or sack trucks. (The curtains are transparent so any hazards on the other side can be identified prior to turning around.)
    3. Larger trolleys (bric-a-brac, linen, clothing, books and electrical) must be ¬pushed though the curtains.) NOTE: Four curtain drops will run over the top of the trolley so you need to ensure the load is secure and be alert.
    4. If you are carrying any goods though the curtains and don’t feel confident, ask for assistance.

I note we have no events of folk being flicked in the face but I see your ladder trucks are higher than our larger trolleys. However your curtains are certainly wide enough for people to 'keep left' when moving through.
    Good luck.
  • David Quinn
    Hi Jo,

Have you tried getting the workers to push the ladder trolleys through at a slight angle, not directly through. The flaps tend to slide off to the side instead of being carried all the way up and over the top which reduces the swing back. Definitely a short term measure relying on behaviour but easy and quick to implement and I've seen it used very effectively.
  • Michael Wilson

I have seen these in action at a previous employer. They are expensive but very good
  • MattD2
    They are expensive but very goodMichael Wilson

Yeah the cost does bite, but they can also help be more efficient with stock movements too when you done have to worry about the plastic dragging and moving stacked items on pallets, etc.
  • Jo Moar
    Hi Matt we already have a rapid roller door approximately 2 metres away on the other side of the curtains. My manager will not spent another $$k on a second one. The first one has just been replace six months ago due to damage by a forklift ugh.
  • Jo Moar
    Hey David - good to see you on the forum (been a while since our mutual employer days). Thanks for that suggestion, it seems to be something simple so will discuss with my manager tomorrow.
  • Chris Peace
    Two comments.
    I have seen a chain link curtain that is heavy enough to stop birds, and allows a person to see and walk through. The chains were well made and probably would not snag on trolleys, stock or people.
    Your question reminded me of an incident in 1978 in Bristol when the plastic curtain strips were being scratched by fork lift trucks to the point where they became opaque. A fork lift truck driver drove through and pushed an empty wooden pallet he could not see so that it slid and crushed the ankle and foot of a pedestrian against another pallet. This was bad enough but the pedestrian was a colleague who was an inspector.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.