• Greg Sutton
    Does anyone have guidance on storage of larger battery packs used in new full EV generation vehicles ?
    The SDS sheet from the manufacturer is not that helpful and regurgitates the standard "cool area away from sources of ignition".

My 3.1B White Spirits is no problem...I can follow the Worksafe Calculator regulation links to establish max 100 lt in containers of 20lt or less....

The product is classified Class 9 DG UN3480. While I understand why it cannot be loaded on a passenger aircraft, I cannot understand why it suddenly stops being a risk once delivered to my storage and before it is installed in a OEM vehicle.

These are 50Ah units, so they are going to generate large amounts of their own O2 in a fire and if they are damaged in an accident, can only be shipped by sea !
    Check this out

If there is no hazardous substance class, does it mean it has no storage regulations / requirements ?
    The shippers state they use separated caged area's, well ventilated and indoors for their class 9 DG's.

Point to remember class 9 DG's have no link to class 9 hazardous substances.

Do I phone up my insurance underwriter and ask his opinion or can someone in the know advise accordingly.

Thank you in advance.
  • Steve H
    Do I phone up my insurance underwriter and ask his opinion or can someone in the know advise accordingly.Greg Sutton

Seems like a fair starting point Greg, yes the Branz white paper is pretty scary, we've only got started on EV use, but Lith-Ion batteries have been causing fires here and round the world for some time.

Must say I hadn't considered new OEM batteries, assume they are well packaged to prevent (as far as possible) someone jabbing them with a forklift tyne or shorting a few cells out, over heating them in a storage area would be a foreseeable possibility (air conditioning required?)

End of life is going to be interesting too, and the more likely point that they get damaged and go into thermal runaway.
  • Greg Sutton
    There is some feedback from OEM suppliers regarding storing these packs at optimum voltage which means the need to be on a constant trickle charge. Feedback from one is the cost for "proper" storage is prohibitive and therefore they will only bring in stock as required.
    That is based on PHEV units which are smaller than the upcoming full EV packs.
    I am not sure if there is a plan to recycle locally or dump "offshore"...
  • Steve H
    Feedback from one is the cost for "proper" storage is prohibitive and therefore they will only bring in stock as required.Greg Sutton

I imagine you have to balance the cost of storing them appropriately, vs the cost of dealing with the consequences of things going pear shaped because of not storing them correctly

That is based on PHEV units which are smaller than the upcoming full EV packs.
    I am not sure if there is a plan to recycle locally or dump "offshore"
    Greg Sutton
    There has been some talk of using cells as the basis of a storage system for harvesting solar power and storing it for use later in the day, or cloudy day use, for as long as the cells will hold a charge (albeit a reduced one), after that it gets messy.
  • Aaron Marshall
    Do I phone up my insurance underwriter and ask his opinion or can someone in the know advise accordingly.Greg Sutton

They are likely to give you better guidance on exactly what you require, and are likely ot be more stringent than building regs, etc.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.