• Don Ramsay
    Does anyone know where to get at torch fume extraction for welders?
  • Steve H
    Portable unit Don?
  • Don Ramsay
    No the unit that is integrated into the handpiece, I already have portable units but they do not work for all situations.
  • Andrew
    We've just given our Welders PAPR. With existing air extraction we are hoping this will do away with the need for local extraction. PAPR expensive - but probably not as expensive as additional ventilation.
  • Don Ramsay
    I agree as I went to a site the other day that had fitted LEV and it cost just over 75k and from what I saw made little difference as the workers were not moving it along with the weld site, I am also looking at PAPR being a preferred option but saw that there was another option of on torch so thought it is worth some consideration. all said and done we do have ventilation but the workers forget to turn it on every day so I have made it my daily task first thing in the morning.
  • Steve H
    We've just given our Welders PAPRAndrew

Air purifying welding helmets for the viewers at home, which make did you go with Andrew?
  • Andrew

We went with the 3M G 5- o1's. Not "Air Purifying welding helmets. "Positive Air Pressure Respirator." It sucks air in at the waist, passes it through a filter and then expels air out into the helmet so outside air around helmet does enter welders breathing space.

Feedback from welders so far is very positive. Surprisingly no complaints. Comfortable to wear and enjoying the light breeze that flows past their faces.

Has a P2 filter - so its filtered air hitting their faces. Will be nice in summer with a bit of a breeze going by.

Also a reported productivity increase as they wear them all day long. No more taking bits of gear on and off for different tasks.
  • Andrew

As a suggestion, don't do their tasks for them. If turning on their ventilation is for their own good get them to do it. If they don't then take action that ensure they do their job. If you can't get them to do a simple task you won't get them able to follow instruction on a LAV.

What about a switch that turns lights and ventilation on at the same time.
  • MattD2
    Has a P2 filter - so its filtered air hitting their faces. Will be nice in summer with a bit of a breeze going by.Andrew
    Also a benefit that with the supply air drawn from the waist it is not directly in the fumes as a normal P2 respirator would be.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.