• Stuart Oakey
    Hi Everyone,

HSE (UK) recently issued a Safety Alert recently to advise that there is new scientific evidence that exposure to all welding fumes, including mild steel welding fumes, can cause lung cancer ,and possible kidney cancer.

It was issued under Bulletin STSU1 – 2019 if anyone's interested.

It states that "all businesses undertaking welding activities should ensure effective engineering controls are provided and correctly used to control fume arising from those welding activities.
    Where engineering controls are not adequate to control all fume exposure, adequate and suitable respiratory protective equipment (RPE) is also required to control risk from the residual fumes."

Thanks
    Stuart
  • Jono Johnson
    Very interesting indeed. We're having a "spirited debate" in our workshop at the moment in regards to RPE for our welders, goes something like this:
    "I understand (and agree) that the guys who are welding continuously need to wear respirators, however If I'm only tacking for 5-15 or so minutes then I don't have to as (wait for it) it takes too long to put that stuff on"
  • Andrew
    I'm surprised this is news. Workplace Exposure Standards have been around for ages. Its why we have air extraction, ventilation and PPE along with air monitoring and health monitoring.
  • Stuart Oakey
    Even with the Exposure Standards, how many workplaces are actually enforcing the requirements? As Alan says in his post people think donning PPE takes too long.
    I had a toolbox talk with our team about the risks involved. One of our team told us that of 60 welders in his former work place there are only 7 left alive. The others all died from cancer associated with welding fume exposure.

Knowing what harm this hazard actually does is, for me, the driver to make sure adequate controls are in place. This means extraction ventilation by the weld, forced air ventilated welding helmets - not cheap but the benefit far exceeds the cost.
  • Andrew
    I suspect not many. It will be the same old response under the old legislation. Biff a bit of PPE in and she'll be right as long as its worn. Our approach explains why the only problems we have with health are from those who smoke.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.