• Dianne Campton
    Just read with interest the findings from the fatality at a Kiwi fruit orchard in 2016. Is it just me on a Monday or does anyone else find it extraordinarily insane that a person engaged to sample fruit from various orchards can arrive at the said orchard, enter and wander around taking samples, without so much as having to sign in so the orchardist knows they are on his/her property? This would not be permitted on a construction site, factory or an office so why is it permitted on an orchard?
  • Andrew
    Is that the quadbike one where it was first thought the worker was taking a shortcut on sloping terain?
  • Andrew
    I've had a look at the Safeguard Update article (but not the court decision) and I'm not sure how signing in would have either prevented the death or helped in an emergency response. (Part of the process was the orchardist didn't know so as to not influence the sampling)
  • Dianne Campton
    I agree - no process, training or system can prevent stupidity. The sampling process would still be protected but at least the orchardist would have had an opportunity to reiterate the need to stay on mown sections and could have refused entry if they thought the operator was not going to follow site rules - same as any other industrial site
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.