• rebecca telfer
    Hi Team
    I need to get some clarity around Hot Work Permits. Is one needed conducting hot work within a workshop? I know you do when outside of the workshop. Thanks
  • Steve H

Not normally inside a Work Shop area, unless some extra hazard(s) are present which might be considered worthwhile to use the HWP system to control. NZS 4781 is the New Zealand standard for Safety in Welding and Cutting.
  • Don Ramsay
    Within the workshop environment, we do not use a hot permit as it is part of the daily work, so long as all the appropriate daily measures are in place and followed. The only time we may require a permit is when a contractor comes to site to do hot work, this is to ensure they have the controls in place for what they are doing.
  • John Easton
    Not required within our maintenance workshop. For any hot work done outside our workshop by our fitters or any contractor, then a HWP is mandatory.
  • Brian Parker
    Hi Rebecca,
    As long as your workshop is a designated 'Hot Work Zone' you will not need permits for work done there. If you have other areas where hot work is routinely carried out you could also designate them in your site plan. You will need to back up those designations with a risk assessment of the zone and review it regularly.
  • Aaron Marshall
    I've got a client who does the same - inside his workshop, no permit. But in another workshop, where hot work is not normally carried out, he does go through the permit, mainly to ensure that the client is aware of any risks.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.