• Stuart Oakey
    Hi everyone. I wanted to ask if anyone has had experience with Journey Management Plans for staff who have to make a road trip from company base home to a clients location (and back).

I suggested a JSEA or risk assessment could be completed, taking in to account our Fatigue policy & vehicle check requirements, and was presented with an "example form" which requires various routes, drivers, emergency contact details (which we already have on file). It even goes as far to say that passengers must stay awake for the journey! The form also need a managers approval.

I'd be grateful for your feedback.
  • Aaron Marshall
    What's the trigger for requiring this?
    My immediate reaction is that its a bit over-the-top. Simply have a policy of how long it is acceptable for someone to be driving for, and ensuring that staff are able to have an unscheduled overnight if they feel they need to due to fatigue should be sufficient.
  • Stuart Oakey
    That was my response. The director insisted we needed it because he had it in previous companies. I've explained we have a Fatigue Policy & Fatigue Management standard, but to no avail.
  • Aaron Marshall
    If you were conducting a multi-day trip with (potential) long driving days, then it might be a good idea to go over expected trip times, and alternates if there are major delays, but there comes a point where you need to let people self-manage.
  • Meryn Morrison
    Being in the Transport Industry, no, we abide by fatigue management laws but previous companies I've been in have an 11 hour rule. 3 hours drive, 8 hour day. If you can't achieve that you stay the night. SImple.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.