• Steve H
    Andrew kicked off a Frivolous Friday thread a couple of years ago, but it kept getting hijacked by off topic posts.Let's give it another go, but be advised, this thread is not for the serious, earnest seeker of wisdom:smile:

Dead Horse?

The tribal wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from one generation to the next, says that when you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

But in modern business (and education and government) because heavy investment factors are taken into consideration, other strategies are often tried with dead horses, including the following:

• Buying a stronger whip.
    • Changing riders.
    • Give the dead horse multiple warnings of poor performance
    • Threatening the horse with termination.
    • Appointing a committee to study the horse.
    • Arranging to visit other sites to see how they ride dead horses.
    • Lowering the standards so that dead horses can be included.
    • Reclassifying the dead horse as "living-impaired"'
    • Hiring outside contractors to ride the dead horse.
    • Harnessing several dead horses together to increase speed.
    • Providing additional funding and/or training to increase the dead horse's performance.
    • Doing a productivity study to see if lighter riders would improve the dead horse's performance.
    • Declaring that the dead horse carries lower overhead and therefore contributes more to the
      bottom line than some other horses.
    • Rewriting the expected performance requirements for all horses. And, as a final strategy:
      Promoting the dead horse to a supervisory position or offer the dead horse a long severance
      package and then rehire the dead horse as a consultant right away.

Next batter up
  • Trudy Downes
    Nothing ruins your Friday like finding out it's only Thursday.
  • Steve Setterfield
    Nothing makes you smile more than knowing Thursday is the last day of your week. Semi retired but not a dead horse!
  • Garth Forsberg
    - Beat the dead horse with a trumpet. Same result but it will be slightly more entertaining.

- Before anyone finds out that it's dead, sell raffle tickets to win a free horse. No one will complain about the horse being dead, except the guy that won, so you give him his money back. 500 tickets at $5 is $2495 profit.
  • Steve H
    Test Your Reactions

This simulation puts you in the driver's seat of a car. You're driving down a road, when you see a big red hand flash in front of you,

You have to put on the brakes.

Then, the Reaction Time Test tells you how old you are, when it comes to driving.

Test Your Reactions

Bet you try more than once! :razz:
  • Andrew
    Thanks. Made my day. Just got me 30 years younger! A few years better than my fitness age
  • Christina Carroll
    Yes knocked 30 years off my age. Feel so much better.
  • Steve H
    re68yz1bexsige91.jpg

The Safety Officer

Once, an engineer, a physicist and a safety officer all applied for the same job. The Managing Director interviewed all three, and thought all were excellent. He had to think of some way to find the best person. So he told them all to come back the next day and tell him the exact height of the building. The one who was closest would get the job.

The physicist went to the top of the building, and dropped iron balls to the ground, and had his friend timed the balls. He did this several times. The engineer got out a sextant, and computed ratios of a yardstick to the building. The next day, the manager asks all three of them to tell how tall the building is. '75 feet, 2.8 inches,' says the physicist. '76 feet, 4.1 inches,' says the engineer. '75 feet, 8.4 inches,' says the safety officer.

'My Goodness, said the MD, 'the safety officer got it exactly correct. How did you manage that?' 'Well', said the safety officer, 'I went down to the planning department and looked up the height in the building records.'
  • MattD2
    more likely today the H&S Officer would be taking the ladder away because "this siege has a no ladders policy"
  • MattD2
    'I went down to the planning department and looked up the height in the building records.'Steve H
    Ahhhhh the fallacy continues - the GM and Safety Officer were only concerned about what was planned, the physicist and engineer were concerned with the reality of the situation...
  • Steve H
    There are warning signs, and then there are signs that educate:

s28hb7n25xe9rvea.jpeg
  • Steve H
    No EWP available on site, no problem !

z2whymk2kcpdr55n.jpg
  • Steve H
    Hmmm, no serious replies can be parked here :smile: redemption can be obtained by the posting of anything of a frivolous nature Laraina that has some bearing on H&S or management
  • Brian Parker
    Trudy said "Nothing ruins your Friday like finding out it's only Thursday."

Yes there is - finding out on Friday that you have to work on Saturday!
  • Steve H
    Of course H&S isn't about

sx9wpqsjs9c3uq6d.jpg

It's Friday, get a little frivolous :smile:
  • Steve H
    Beware of the dog

yaijwp4rj8ayjhkr.jpg

More on the power of signs

j303rk5tu5i0lxum.jpg
  • Steve H
    Checks computer clock, yes it is Friday.

Minions on mental health

10ciywepxbtp7s6f.jpg

And since it is Friday (with apologies to those working tomorrow and/or Sunday

ap2hx2znvtoeiton.png
  • Steve H
    A sign for our times?

51zas1iiwzrwh6df.jpg

Sometimes it just depends on your perception

7f8ywq8k387q3g3j.jpg
  • Steve H
    OK it's Friday and I missed last week, due to climbing on the Milford Wander for a cruise around Doubtful Sound, strongly suggest you take a break and do it too.

Anyway on with the show
    Minions on Dr Google

1m1fbzawtxy7aim1.jpg

Form that support group now

gp9970s0n8ulzfo8.gif
  • Steve H
    Since it's Friday

mtt0aax5wj0o69va.jpg

ku1ojbt8u41j4mpe.jpg
  • Steve H
    Forklift Safety

When driving my forklift, I must always keep my mast and load as close to the ground as possible

1j8i7t3rrzqomr1k.jpg

I must not use a pallet as a work platform

bo3a24gwi546paya.jpg
  • Jonathan Godfrey
    The Safety Officer knows that the records were prepared by the Engineers and Architects who built the building, and that they measured it because the records required accurate measurements.
  • Jonathan Godfrey
    Radiation Safety...
    Attachment
    funny-pictures-nuclear-safety-1ac (25K)
  • MattD2
    and that they measured it because the records required accurate measurements.Jonathan Godfrey
    Hahahahahaha... never trust the as-builts!!!!
  • Jonathan Godfrey
    Those aren't the only diagrams in the records...
  • Steve H
    Warning Signs

Is your electrical safety regime up to scratch?
    roa5dt3e7r3k8mg9.jpg

Don't be a tosser
    8v0aijiiutz0rwz5.jpg
  • Steve H
    Checked your first aid cabinet lately

zofgl7cgyb5imb8x.jpg

Consult the folk doing the work before designing procedures they have to follow

l9ffmd5heey9b6f3.jpg
  • Steve H
    The floggings will continue until morale improves

53xi6lqmeb7zc0b4.jpg

Working from home doesn't mean your performance appraisal won't take place

j6m2grqzvz8ivcmc.jpg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.