• Catherine van der Vyver
    How long does one need to keep incident reports? Not the Notifiable Incidents, but the minor injuries, near misses, etc.
    We have a register listing all the incidents, which will be kept indefinitely, but what about the filled in incident forms?
  • Stuart Oakey
    Hi Catherine, I believe Health & Safety records need to be retained for 7 years.
  • Tania Curtin
    I don't believe there is a legally required time-frame for keeping non-notifiable incident records. I would consider how long they are useful for your business first and foremost.
  • rebecca telfer
    Due to all of our records within our company having our logo on them we hold them for 5 years.
  • Andrew
    Not that we want to, but ours get kept for ever. That's because it all gets scanned / electronically recorded against an employee. And once done I can't be bothered deleting. One day some Privacy Act botherer will knock on my door and remind me I can only keep personal information for as long as I have a purpose for holding it.

In terms of actual time frames you probably have:
    1 year - to cover the time an employee has to lodge an ACC claim.
    3 months if a person wants to bring a safety related personal grievance.
    7 years if it relates to a taxable payment to an employe.
    12 months for the purposes of the Worksafe prosecution limitation period
    2 years in relation to a private prosecution
    5 years, if as a PCBU you have a notifiable event
  • Bruce Tollan
    30 years for substance exposure - e.g Asbestos
  • Steph Ryall
    At the Central Districts Field Days Work Safe said I only needed to keep notifiable incident information. But Andrews list in the comments above seems really helpful
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to the Safeguard forum!

If you are interested in workplace health & safety in New Zealand, then this is the discussion forum for you.